Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Source: Manziel works out for Browns brass April 20, 2014Johnny Manziel will work out for Cleveland Browns officials Saturday in College Station, Texas, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Kelly leaves NYC to continue cancer treatment April 20, 2014Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly will continue his treatment for sinus cancer in western New York, according to his brother Dan.ESPN.com news services
- Miami (Ohio) unveils John Harbaugh statue April 19, 2014John Harbaugh was honored with a statue at his alma mater Miami University in the school's "Cradle of Coaches."Associated Press
- Saban: Talks with Peyton, Gase not together April 19, 2014Nick Saban visited with Peyton Manning at the Alabama football offices early last week. Saban also spent time with Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase on the same day and in the same location. But don't connect the dots any further, Saban says.Alex Scarborough
- Ravens, 49ers set joint preseason practices April 19, 2014Two seasons after battling in the Super Bowl, the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers will hold four joint practices after their preseason opener on Aug. 7 in Baltimore, John Harbaugh said Friday night.Jamison Hensley
- Saints re-sign Meachem to 1-year contract April 18, 2014The New Orleans Saints announced Friday that they have re-signed veteran receiver Robert Meachem to a one-year deal. Terms were not disclosed.Mike Triplett
- Source: 49ers likely to pass on Smith option April 18, 2014The San Francisco 49ers are not expected to pick up the 2015 fifth-year option on linebacker/defensive end Aldon Smith's contract, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- OTL: He may have shot Tillman April 18, 2014In his first public statements about the death of former NFL safety Pat Tillman, one of the Army Rangers involved in the 2004 friendly fire incident in Afghanistan says he has lived for 10 years with the thought that he may have fired the fatal shots.Mike Fish
- Source: Jags to meet with Bridgewater again April 18, 2014The Jacksonville Jaguars have scheduled a second meeting and workout with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, a source said.Tania Ganguli
- Source: Watt has 5th-year option exercised April 18, 2014The Houston Texans have officially exercised the fifth-year option on DE J.J. Watt's contract for the 2015 season, per a league source.Field Yates
- Source: Manziel works out for Browns brass April 20, 2014