Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Saints top Panthers to take NFC South lead October 31, 2014Drew Brees overcame a shaky start and threw for one touchdown and ran for another and the New Orleans Saints defeated the Carolina Panthers 28-10 Thursday night to take over first place in the NFC South.Associated Press
- NFL seeks to dismiss ex-players' painkillers suit October 31, 2014The National Football League on Thursday asked a judge to toss out a lawsuit filed by former players who allege team officials gave them powerful painkillers and other drugs to keep them on the field without regard for their long-term health.ESPN.com news services
- Game Balls: Panthers vs. Saints October 31, 2014Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.Media
- Source: Hardy trial ppd.; eyes reinstatement October 31, 2014The Nov. 17 domestic violence trial for Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy has been postponed until after the season, a league source told ESPN.com.ESPN.com news services
- Tweets by Jets' Decker spur social media spat October 31, 2014The New York Jets' Eric Decker picked a bad week to try to rally the team's disgruntled fan base.Rich Cimini
- Concussed Cards DB: Couldn't recall game October 31, 2014While driving after Sunday's game, Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson pulled over for about 30 minutes.Josh Weinfuss
- Seahawks' Wilson had Giant interest in Series October 30, 2014Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson had a former teammate to root for in Game 7 of the World Series on Wednesday night -- San Francisco Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner, who was named the Series MVP.Terry Blount
- Good dawgs: Browns vie for collar charms October 30, 2014Browns defensive coaches have provided their players with spiked black dog collars, and each exceptional effort play garners a dog bone charm to attach to the collar.Jeremy Fowler
- Chargers CB Verrett out with torn labrum October 30, 2014Chargers rookie cornerback Jason Verrett has a torn labrum in his left shoulder and will miss at least Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins, the team said.Eric D. Williams
- Jets RB Johnson frustrated with limited role October 30, 2014During his peak years with the Tennessee Titans, Chris Johnson welcomed the Monday morning aches and pains. It usually meant a busy and productive Sunday. He longs for those days.Rich Cimini
- Saints top Panthers to take NFC South lead October 31, 2014