Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Eagles' McCoy hurts thumb; X-rays negative August 22, 2014Eagles All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy left Thursday night's 31-21 preseason win in the first quarter with a right thumb injury.ESPN.com news services
- Foles, offense in form as Eagles top Steelers August 22, 2014Back at home, Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles got back on track. Foles threw one touchdown pass and led the starting offense to three first-half scores in a 31-21 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday night.ESPN.com news services
- Steelers' Bell, Blount apologize for 'distraction' August 22, 2014Pittsburgh Steelers running backs Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount apologized Thursday night but said nothing about the citations each will receive for marijuana possession.Scott Brown
- Raiders to sit Carr for game against Packers August 22, 2014The Oakland Raiders are being cautious with rookie quarterback Derek Carr, choosing to sit him for Friday night's preseason game at Green Bay Packers, coach Dennis Allen told the NFL Network.Bill Williamson
- Source: Chiefs' Mays will have wrist surgery August 22, 2014Kansas City Chiefs ILB Joe Mays (wrist) is expected to have surgery within the next 24 hours for his injury, a league source told ESPN.ESPN.com news services
- Loose sod at 49ers' new stadium removed August 22, 2014The San Francisco 49ers were working to re-sod the field at new Levi's Stadium on Thursday, a day after a public workout was cut short and moved to the regular practice fields because players were slipping.Associated Press
- Chiefs' mascot settles over severe injuries August 21, 2014The man who performs as the Kansas City Chiefs' mascot has reached a legal settlement over severe injuries he suffered last November while practicing a zip line routine.Associated Press
- Source: Dallas' Holloman (neck) told to retire August 21, 2014Dallas Cowboys linebacker DeVonte Holloman was told by team doctors on Thursday afternoon to retire because of neck injuries, according to a source.Calvin Watkins and Todd Archer
- Charles back at practice -- with scout team August 21, 2014Jamaal Charles returned to practice Thursday and took his usual spot as the featured back in the Kansas City Chiefs' offense. The only difference was that Charles was on the scout team.Adam Teicher
- Payton: Brees 'ready to go' after oblique strain August 21, 2014Drew Brees doesn't appear to be showing any rust after his two-week hiatus to rest a strained oblique.Mike Triplett
- Eagles' McCoy hurts thumb; X-rays negative August 22, 2014