Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Titans RB Greene arrested on multiple charges October 25, 2014Tennessee Titans running back Shonn Greene was arrested Friday night on multiple charges after attempting to avoid a ticket for parking in a handicapped space.ESPN.com news services
- Saints to be without RBs Thomas, Robinson October 25, 2014New Orleans Saints running backs Pierre Thomas and Khiry Robinson have both been ruled out for Sunday night's game against the Green Bay Packers with injuries.Mike Triplett
- Raiders' Hayden activated, available Sunday October 25, 2014The Oakland Raiders have activated cornerback DJ Hayden from the physically unable to perform list and promoted defensive end Denico Autry from the practice squad.Associated Press
- Dolphins activate Jordan as suspension ends October 25, 2014The Miami Dolphins activated defensive end and former first-round pick Dion Jordan to the active roster, the team announced Saturday.James Walker
- Lions' Mosley suspended, sent back to U.S. October 25, 2014On the eve of their game against the Atlanta Falcons in Wembley Stadium, the Detroit Lions have suspended defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and sent him home from England.Michael Rothstein
- Bucs sign DT McCoy to $98 million extension October 25, 2014Gerald McCoy has signed a seven-year extension with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that could be worth as much as $98 million, making him the highest-paid defensive tackle in the NFL.ESPN.com news services
- Manning: 'Not scoreboard op's best night' October 25, 2014Peyton Manning will "have a little talk" with the scoreboard operator in the wake of what the Broncos QB says were distractions during Denver's win against the Chargers.Jeff Legwold
- Billionaire Allen donates $100M to fight Ebola October 25, 2014Billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers, has pledged to contribute at least $100 million to the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.ESPN.com news services
- Ravens TE Daniels out after knee procedure October 25, 2014Ravens tight end Owen Daniels will miss at least one game after undergoing a clean-up procedure on his left knee, coach John Harbaugh said Friday.Jamison Hensley
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe October 25, 2014The attorney leading the NFL players' union investigation into the Ray Rice domestic violence case tells The Associated Press the league and the Baltimore Ravens have not been cooperating.Associated Press
- Titans RB Greene arrested on multiple charges October 25, 2014