Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Rice: 'I made the biggest mistake of my life' July 31, 2014Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice apologized to his wife and all women affected by domestic violence on Thursday, when he took questions for the first time since his alleged altercation with his then-fiancee in February.Jamison Hensley
- Bad hair day: Skins rookie regrets new 'do July 31, 2014Zach Hocker gave them the option. Now he wishes he had just given them a bad skit.John Keim
- Source: Giants unsure if Wilson can return July 31, 2014David Wilson's latest neck injury has raised significant concerns for the New York Giants as a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Thursday that the team would be very surprised if Wilson played for the them again.Dan Graziano
- NFL placing trackers in pads to enhance stats July 31, 2014Hoping to keep up with the fans' insatiable appetite for player statistics, the NFL will install real-time location systems in 17 of its stadiums this year.Darren Rovell
- Colts' Thomas needs quad surgery July 31, 2014The Colts' Donald Thomas, who was expected to start at guard this season, re-tore the same quad that cost him all but two games during the 2013 season, according to a source.Mike Wells
- Cowboys sign OT Smith to $110M contract July 31, 2014The Dallas Cowboys have signed Pro Bowl offensive tackle Tyron Smith to an eight-year extension through 2023, making the total value of his contract worth nearly $110 million, according to multiple sources.Todd Archer
- NFLPA to sign exclusive card deal with Panini July 31, 2014In a move that will further consolidate the sports card market, Panini and the NFL Players Association plan to announce on Thursday that they have entered into an exclusive multiyear agreement, meaning all major sports leagues now have only one licensee.Darren Rovell
- Bortles impresses Jags OC with his progress July 31, 2014Blake Bortles is still a long way from being the Jacksonville Jaguars' starting quarterback, but he has impressed his offensive coordinator with his progress.Michael DiRocco
- Source: 49ers' Smith, Goodell to talk Aug. 8 July 31, 2014San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, facing a significant suspension, is scheduled to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York City on Aug. 8, according to a league source.Adam Schefter
- Romo unsure he'll play in preseason opener July 31, 2014With the long-term view on the regular season Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said he will play some in the preseason, but perhaps not the Aug. 7 opener against the San Diego Chargers.Todd Archer
- Rice: 'I made the biggest mistake of my life' July 31, 2014