Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- Sources: Rice files grievance against Ravens October 22, 2014Ray Rice has filed a grievance against the Baltimore Ravens for terminating his contract, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.ESPN.com news services
- Report: Pats lose DE Jones 1 month for hip October 22, 2014New England Patriots defensive end Chandler Jones will be out for one month after suffering a hip injury, according to a Boston Globe report.Lee Schechter
- Dolphins DE: 'Blessed' to be back from ban October 22, 2014Defensive end Dion Jordan says he's blessed and thankful that the Dolphins accepted him back after his six-game suspensionsJames Walker
- Leagues file order to derail N.J. sports betting October 21, 2014The NCAA, NFL and other major professional sports leagues filed a motion for a temporary restraining order Tuesday in an effort to halt legalized sports betting in New Jersey.David Purdum
- Cowboys waive Sam from practice squad October 21, 2014The Cowboys cut ties with defensive end Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team, and signed linebacker Troy Davis.Todd Archer
- Jets lock up WR Kerley with 4-year extension October 21, 2014The New York Jets have signed wide receiver Jeremy Kerley to a four-year contract extension, the team announced Tuesday.ESPN.com news services
- Source: Pats to acquire LB Ayers from Titans October 21, 2014The Titans have agreed to trade linebacker Akeem Ayers and a seventh-round draft pick to the Patriots for a sixth-round pick, according to a team source.Paul Kuharsky
- Bucs' Bowers suspended 2 games for PEDs October 21, 2014Buccaneers DE Da'Quan Bowers has been suspended two games without pay for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, the league announced Tuesday.ESPN.com news services
- Tuley: Week 8 NFL Vegas Power Rankings October 21, 2014Updated ratings for all 32 NFL teams, plus the best Week 8 value playsDave Tuley
- Bills' Spiller put on IR, can return in Week 16 October 21, 2014The Buffalo Bills placed running back C.J. Spiller, who suffered a broken collarbone in last Sunday's win over Minnesota, on injured reserve Tuesday with a designation to return.Mike Rodak
- Sources: Rice files grievance against Ravens October 22, 2014