Team USA won the GOLD at the FIBA Championship games played in Istanbul, Turkey earlier today, by defeating the Turkish host team 81-64. During the first quarter the Turkish team only trailed by 5 points, but soon USA shut them down defensively. Kevin Durant was the offensive key player
Initially, Team USA gold doubts were raised when star players, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant were notably missing. The 12 remaining players, six of those under the age of 22 with no returns from the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Team soon became the “Redeemed Team”. The USA hadn’t brought home a World Championship since 1994.
The coaching staff had asked Durant to carry this team offensive. He had initially been hesitant, but it soon became clear that it was impossible for him not to. Durant has been a winner at every stage of his basketball life.
Durant kept it up through the third quarter, adding 8 more points, increasing the lead by 13. In the final quarter, USA pulled ahead due in part to nine points scored by Odom. Odom, co-captain of the team, was good for 11 rebounds and 15 points.
With 45 seconds left on the clock, the congratulations began. Twenty eight points were scored by Durant, landing him in the MVP slot and another 15 by Odom. Durant averaged 22.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
Team USA, stood arm and arm awaiting their turn to mount the podium. The excitement flared, confetti fell inside the Olympic Dome, as the US National Anthem played – the trophy was coming back to the US for the first time in 16 years.
The game ended at nearly midnight… with the charter flight leaving at 4AM local time.
- O'Connor: Beckham Jr.'s catch deserved more November 24, 2014Odell Beckham Jr. hauled in a heck of a TD, but Giants catch a loss vs. CowboysIan O'Connor
- Cowboys rally from 11 down to stop Giants November 24, 2014Tony Romo upstaged Odell Beckham Jr.'s jaw-dropping one-handed touchdown catch with two third quarter touchdown passes to give the Dallas Cowboys a 24-21 lead over the New York Giants heading into the fourth quarter Sunday night.Associated Press
- Saints' Benson pledges $11 million to HOF November 24, 2014New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson has pledged $11 million to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the largest contribution by any individual in the Hall's 51-year history,Mike Triplett
- Manning, Anderson lift Broncos over Dolphins November 24, 2014Peyton Manning threw three of his four TD passes to Demaryius Thomas, and C.J. Anderson ran for 167 yards and the go-ahead score in the Denver Broncos' 39-36 win over the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.Associated Press
- Chargers survive Rams' furious late rally November 24, 2014Marcus Gilchrist intercepted Shaun Hill at the goal line with 56 seconds left to preserve the San Diego Chargers' 27-24 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.Associated Press
- Seahawks stifle Cardinals, stay in West race November 24, 2014Russell Wilson found backup tight end Cooper Helfet for a 20-yard catch-and-run touchdown late in the third quarter, Steven Hauschka kicked four field goals and the Seahawks handed the Cardinals their second loss of the season, 19-3 on Sunday.Associated Press
- Niners squeak by Redskins on Hyde's late TD November 24, 2014Carlos Hyde ran for a go-ahead, 4-yard touchdown with 2:59 remaining, and the San Francisco 49ers squeaked by the lowly Washington Redskins with a 17-13 win Sunday that kept them in the thick of the playoff chase.Associated Press
- Source: Texans' Mallet played with pec injury November 24, 2014Texans quarterback Ryan Mallett played through a right pectoral injury Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, a source confirmed.Tania Ganguli
- Patriots RB Gray doesn't play after lateness November 24, 2014A week after rushing for 201 yards, New England Patriots running back Jonas Gray didn't play in Sunday's 34-9 victory against the Detroit Lions after he didn't report to the team's facility on time Friday.ESPN.com news services
- Hamilton to face Calgary in 102nd Grey Cup November 24, 2014The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are going to the Grey CupESPN.com news services
- O'Connor: Beckham Jr.'s catch deserved more November 24, 2014