The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Cutler practices but still not ready to return December 6, 2013Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler won't play against Dallas Cowboys.Michael C. Wright
- Steelers' Bell feeling good after scary hit December 6, 2013Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell, recovering from a concussion, is on track to face the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.Scott Brown
- Cardinals QB Palmer slowed by elbow injury December 6, 2013Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer was limited in practice for the second straight day because of a right elbow injury suffered early in Sunday's 24-21 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.Josh Weinfuss
- Colts' Richardson humbled by his demotion December 6, 2013Indianapolis Colts running back Trent Richardson was humbled when he ran onto the field as a backup in the first quarter against the Tennessee Titans last weekendMike Wells
- Pats' Dennard jail term extended 30 days December 6, 2013New England Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, in court today in for violating his probation, had a judge add 30 days to his 30-day jail sentence which is to begin March 1, according to the Lincoln (Nebraska) Journal Star.Mike Reiss
- Jets' Reed: I'm the same player I've been December 5, 2013Ed Reed believes critics are out to get him because he's Ed Reed.Rich Cimini
- Source: Martin, investigator to meet again December 5, 2013Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin will meet with NFL lead investigator Ted Wells on Thursday in Los Angeles for a second round of questioning, a source told ESPN.com.James Walker
- Packers' Williams fined for contact with ref December 5, 2013Green Bay Packers cornerback Tramon Williams escaped a suspension, but he was fined for making contact with an official in the Thanksgiving loss at the Detroit Lions.Rob Demovsky
- Peterson: If not Vikes, Texas team on mind December 5, 2013While Adrian Peterson says he'd like to spend his entire career in Minnesota, he admitted Wednesday in an ESPN Radio interview that he has also thought about what it would be like to play for another team -- namely, one in his home state of Texas.Ben Goessling
- Peyton insists he's same player in cold December 5, 2013Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning insisted Wednesday he's not a different player in wintry weather, despite statistics that show otherwise.Jeff Legwold
- Cutler practices but still not ready to return December 6, 2013