The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer – just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D December 21, 2014The satisfaction leapt from his comments, the once-spurned receiver burning his former team -- first on the field, then with his words. The Redskins' DeSean Jackson finished with four catches for 126 yards against his former team, the Eagles.John Keim
- Eagles' playoff chances hurt as Redskins win December 21, 2014The Philadelphia Eagles are on the brink of elimination from the playoff race after a 27-24 loss to the Washington Redskins on Saturday.Associated Press
- Pats' Edelman, Blount out Sunday vs. Jets December 21, 2014The New England Patriots will be without leading receiver Julian Edelman and running back LeGarrette Blount for Sunday's road game against the New York Jets, the team announced Saturday.Mike Reiss
- Setback-free Newton to start against Browns December 20, 2014Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suffered no setbacks on Saturday and is set to start against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, twelve days after suffering two small fractures in his lower back during an automobile accident.David Newton
- Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015 December 20, 2014NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams that there will not be a team that moves to Los Angeles for next season, according to league sources.Adam Schefter
- Vick: Florida St.'s Winston 'future of the NFL' December 20, 2014Once considered one of the NFL's biggest stars, New York Jets quarterback Michael Vick says he thinks Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston could be the league's next big star.ESPN.com news services
- Browns' Gipson, tied for INT lead, lands on IR December 20, 2014The Cleveland Browns placed safety Tashaun Gipson on injured reserve Saturday, ending the season of the league's interception leader for much of the year.Jeremy Fowler
- Cowboys RB Murray still undecided on status December 20, 2014Cowboys star running back DeMarco Murray will probably wait until Sunday morning to make a final decision on his playing status for Dallas' home game against the Colts.Ed Werder
- Additional footage of Rice incident released December 20, 2014ABC News has obtained additional video of Ray Rice from the February incident that led to the running back's suspension from the NFL.ESPN.com news services
- Ex-Bucs OC, Cal coach Tedford back to CFL December 20, 2014Jeff Tedford has returned to the CFL.Associated Press
- Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D December 21, 2014