The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Chiefs cut Succop, go with undrafted kicker August 31, 2014The Kansas City Chiefs are going with an undrafted rookie kicker, Cairo Santos, instead of veteran Ryan Succop.Adam Teicher
- Giants place Manningham (calf) on IR August 31, 2014The New York Giants placed wide receiver Mario Manningham and kick return specialist Trindon Holliday on season-ending injured reserve Saturday.Dan Graziano
- Saints cut veteran DB Bailey, WR Meachem August 31, 2014The Saints released future Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey, veteran wide receiver Robert Meachem and and both of the kickers they had in camp -- Shayne Graham and Derek Dimke -- while cutting down the roster to 53 players.Mike Triplett
- Hall sounds off as Meriweather appeal denied August 31, 2014Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather lost his appeal and will serve his two-game suspension, the NFL announced Saturday.ESPN.com news services
- Sam doesn't make Rams' 53-man roster August 31, 2014The St. Louis Rams released defensive end Michael Sam on Saturday.Nick Wagoner
- Browns cut veteran wide receiver Burleson August 31, 2014The Cleveland Browns cut wide receiver Nate Burleson on Saturday.ESPN.com news services
- Agent for waived WR Hill: Jets deserve blame August 31, 2014Stephen Hill's disappointing, two-year run with the New York Jets is over. The former second-round draft pick was waived Saturday, the team announced.Rich Cimini
- Welker to increase post-concussion activity August 30, 2014Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker, who suffered a concussion in the Broncos Aug. 23 preseason game against the Houston Texans, will increase his activity level.Jeff Legwold
- Ex-Steeler Harrison retires, cites family reasons August 30, 2014James Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl linebacker and former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is retiring from football.Coley Harvey
- Jets cut suspended Patterson after rocky stint August 30, 2014The New York Jets released suspended cornerback Dimitri Patterson on Saturday, ending a strange, tumultuous and brief chapter - two days after he basically accused the team of spreading lies about his absence last week.Rich Cimini
- Chiefs cut Succop, go with undrafted kicker August 31, 2014