The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer – just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Johnny Phone Call: Manziel tweets out digits November 1, 2014Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel appeared to post his phone number on Twitter.Pat McManamon
- Bengals RB Bernard out vs. Jags; Hill to start November 1, 2014Bengals running back Giovani Bernard, who hasn't practiced all week because of hip and collarbone injuries, will not play Sunday.Coley Harvey
- Seahawks to honor HS in wake of shooting October 31, 2014The Seattle Seahawks will honor Marysville-Pilchuck High School by having a "MP" decal on the back of their helmets for Sunday's game.Terry Blount
- Chargers' Mathews practices; out vs. Fins October 31, 2014Chargers running back Ryan Mathews practiced Friday, taking part for the first time since he suffered a sprained MCL in his knee in a Week 2 win over the Seattle Seahawks.Eric D. Williams
- Cowboys bicker after Randle booking video October 31, 2014Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant and running back Joseph Randle got into an argument as the media was entering the practice field on Friday.Todd Archer
- Chiefs safety Berry (ankle) ready to return October 31, 2014Chiefs safety Eric Berry, who hasn't played since suffering a high ankle sprain on Sept. 14, will return Sunday against the New York Jets at Arrowhead Stadium, coach Andy Reid said Friday.Adam Teicher
- Raiders' Ross fined $22,050 for Cameron hit October 31, 2014Oakland safety Brandian Ross has been fined $22,050 for his hit on Browns tight end Jordan Cameron that gave Cameron at least his third concussion in three seasons on Sunday.ESPN.com news services
- Rested, 'sane' RG III feels ready for return October 31, 2014The Redskins wanted to be sure QB Robert Griffin III was 100 percent before allowing him to return.John Keim
- Clowney questionable vs. Eagles with illness October 31, 2014The Houston Texans could be without outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney again, but it's not his knee that would prevent him from playing.Tania Ganguli
- Browns' Cameron (concussion) out Sunday October 31, 2014Browns tight end Jordan Cameron will not play Sunday against the BuccaneersPat McManamon
- Johnny Phone Call: Manziel tweets out digits November 1, 2014