The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer – just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- 49ers sign WR Simpson to two-year deal March 6, 2015The San Francisco 49ers signed former Cincinnati Bengals and Minnesota Vikings wideout Jerome Simpson to a two-year deal, the team announced ThursdayPaul Gutierrez
- Bengals re-sign MLB Maualuga for 3 years March 6, 2015The Cincinnati Bengals signed middle linebacker Rey Maualuga to a three-year contract extension, the team announced Thursday.Coley Harvey
- Cards' Palmer reworks deal, eyes OTA return March 6, 2015Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer says he has restructured his contract to help with the team's salary-cap status.Josh Weinfuss
- Jones-Drew calls it quits after 9-year career March 6, 2015Running back Maurice Jones-Drew announced his retirement Thursday after a nine-year NFL career.Bill Williamson
- Dockett on new team: 49ers 'hit the lottery' March 6, 2015Defensive end Darnell Dockett will stay in the NFC West next season, signing with the San Francisco 49ers, his agent Drew Rosenhaus announced Thursday on Twitter.Josh Weinfuss
- Jaguars' Lee sues over loss-of-value policy March 6, 2015Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Marqise Lee is suing Lloyd's of London for skipping out on what he says is millions of dollars in insurance money that he is owed.Darren Rovell
- Aldon Smith tweaks deal in good-faith effort March 6, 2015San Francisco 49ers All-Pro outside linebacker Aldon Smith agreed to a restructure of his contract on Thursday that will convert into a series of non-guaranteed bonuses that would add up to his salary if he meets certain requirements.Paul Gutierrez
- Olsen inks 3-year, $22.5M deal with Panthers March 6, 2015The Carolina Panthers on Thursday signed Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen to a three-year extension worth $22.5 million.David Newton
- Police investigating Swearinger over truck March 6, 2015Authorities say Houston Texans safety D.J. Swearinger drove off from a business without paying for nearly $20,0000 worth of customization work on his truck, though it could simply be a "misunderstanding."Associated Press
- TE Donnell OK after plane skids off runway March 5, 2015New York Giants tight end Larry Donnell was one of the passengers on a Delta Airlines flight that skidded off the runway while landing at New York's LaGuardia airport Thursday morning.Dan Graziano
- 49ers sign WR Simpson to two-year deal March 6, 2015