The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Report: McClain struggles in Ravens workout April 16, 2014Rolando McClain's comeback apparently did not get off to a smooth start.Jamison Hensley
- Ex-Titans running back Johnson visits Jets April 16, 2014Free-agent running back Chris Johnson visited the New York Jets on Tuesday.ESPN.com news services
- Chad Johnson joins Alouettes for minicamp April 16, 2014Chad Johnson made a sharp cut to free himself from a defender, and then hauled in a pass at the 53-yard line.Associated Press
- Bucs' McCoy: Contract won't lead to holdout April 15, 2014All-Pro defensive tackle Gerald McCoy insisted Tuesday that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers don't have to worry about him holding out this summer while his long-term contract discussions are ongoing.Mike Triplett
- Receiver Lloyd back to 49ers on 1-year deal April 15, 2014The San Francisco 49ers' search for another wide receiver this offseason had led them to a former player.Bill Williamson
- Source: Flynn returning to Pack on new deal April 15, 2014Matt Flynn, the backup quarterback who helped save the Green Bay Packers last season after Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone, is returning to the team.Rob Demovsky
- He's serious: Trump wants to purchase Bills April 15, 2014New York City businessman and billionaire Donald Trump says he is committed to buying the Bills and keeping them in Western New York, according to the Buffalo News.ESPN.com news services
- Hearing postponed in Sharper's L.A. rape case April 15, 2014A judge in Los Angeles has postponed a hearing on rape charges against former NFL All-Pro safety Darren Sharper to await the results of an upcoming bail hearing in Arizona.Associated Press
- 49ers' Culliver pleads not guilty to charges April 15, 2014San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor hit-and-run charges and felony possession of brass knuckles.ESPN.com news services
- 49ers' Smith indicated he had bomb at LAX April 15, 2014Los Angeles police detained San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday afternoon after he indicated he was in possession of a bomb.Adam Schefter
- Report: McClain struggles in Ravens workout April 16, 2014