The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer – just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Lions' Mosley suspended, sent back to U.S. October 25, 2014On the eve of their game against the Atlanta Falcons in Wembley Stadium, the Detroit Lions have suspended defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and sent him home from England.Michael Rothstein
- Bucs sign DT McCoy to $98 million extension October 25, 2014Gerald McCoy has signed a seven-year extension with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers worth $98 million, making him the highest-paid defensive tackle in the NFL.ESPN.com news services
- Titans RB Greene arrested on multiple charges October 25, 2014Tennessee Titans running back Shonn Greene was arrested Friday night on multiple charges after attempting to avoid a ticket for parking in a handicapped space.ESPN.com news services
- Manning: 'Not scoreboard op's best night' October 25, 2014Peyton Manning will "have a little talk" with the scoreboard operator in the wake of what the Broncos QB says were distractions during Denver's win against the Chargers.Jeff Legwold
- Billionaire Allen donates $100M to fight Ebola October 25, 2014Billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers, has pledged to contribute at least $100 million to the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.ESPN.com news services
- Ravens TE Daniels out after knee procedure October 25, 2014Ravens tight end Owen Daniels will miss at least one game after undergoing a clean-up procedure on his left knee, coach John Harbaugh said Friday.Jamison Hensley
- Saints to be without RBs Thomas, Robinson October 25, 2014New Orleans Saints running backs Pierre Thomas and Khiry Robinson have both been ruled out for Sunday night's game against the Green Bay Packers with injuries.Mike Triplett
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe October 25, 2014The attorney leading the NFL players' union investigation into the Ray Rice domestic violence case tells The Associated Press the league and the Baltimore Ravens have not been cooperating.Associated Press
- Colts WR Wayne won't play vs. Steelers October 25, 2014Indianapolis Colts receiver Reggie Wayne will not play Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers as he continues to deal with an elbow injury, coach Chuck Pagano told reporters Friday.ESPN.com news services
- Union questions NFL's domestic violence plan October 24, 2014The players' union has questioned why the NFL's domestic violence training and education program "treats all players as perpetrators."Associated Press
- Lions' Mosley suspended, sent back to U.S. October 25, 2014