The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- NFL to release schedule Wednesday night April 23, 2014The NFL schedule is going to be officially announced and released at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.John Clayton
- Mara: Expanded NFL playoffs likely out for '14 April 23, 2014While NFL commissioner Roger Goodell hasn't shut the door on the possibility of expanding the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams for the 2014 season, New York Giants president John Mara believes the league has all but tabled the idea.ESPN.com news services
- Manziel, Clowney among 30 attending draft April 23, 2014The NFL says 30 top prospects, including Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel and South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, will attend the draft next month in New York.Associated Press
- Bills' Marrone had cancerous mole removed April 23, 2014Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone says he has had a cancerous mole removed following a recent doctor's visit, and adds it will not have any effect on his ability to continue coaching.Associated Press
- Men linked by Tillman tragedy make contact April 23, 2014Two former Army Rangers who shared a tragic bond in their platoon mate Pat Tillman's death -- but from starkly different perspectives -- took initial steps toward reconciliation Tuesday, the 10th anniversary of Tillman's death in Afghanistan.Mike Fish and William Weinbaum
- 49ers' Davis: 'We must win a Super Bowl' April 23, 2014While the San Francisco 49ers have endured a rocky offseason, star tight end Vernon Davis says the franchise needs to accomplish one goal for the upcoming campaign.ESPN.com news services
- Thurmond: Giants' DBs can match Seahawks' April 22, 2014Walter Thurmond did not waste any time making bold statements about his new team, the New York Giants.Kieran Darcy
- Rice 'looks great' in offseason conditioning April 22, 2014With his legal troubles creating an uncertain future, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice has been committed to what he can control: lose weight and get back to full strength after a hip injury derailed him last season.Jamison Hensley
- Eli: Ankle to be 100 percent by start of camp April 22, 2014New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning says he'll be 100 percent by training camp.Dan Graziano
- Message heard: Bills settle texts suit for $3M April 22, 2014The Buffalo Bills will pay a heavy price -- potentially more than $3 million -- for sending too many text messages to fans.Darren Rovell
- NFL to release schedule Wednesday night April 23, 2014