The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Lawyer: Seau's family to reject settlement September 3, 2014Relatives of the former linebacker Junior Seau will reject a proposed settlement between the league and thousands of former players, a lawyer representing the family told "Outside the Lines" on Tuesday.Mark Fainaru-Wada and Steve Fainaru
- Sources: Welker banned for amphetamines September 3, 2014Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker has been suspended four games for use of amphetamines, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.Adam Schefter
- Texans' Watt plans to prove he earned deal September 3, 2014J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans talks about his new $100 million extension.Tania Ganguli
- Brent can return in Week 11, with conditions September 3, 2014Josh Brent is a member of the Dallas Cowboys once more but before he can return to the field he must serve a 10-game suspension handed down from the NFL.Todd Archer
- Source: Cowboys to bring in Sam for physical September 3, 2014Michael Sam is flying to Dallas on Tuesday night and will take a physical Wednesday and if all goes well they will add him to their practice squad, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- 49ers GM: McDonald's status to be determined September 3, 2014Niners GM Trent Baalke said the matter of potential discipline for Ray McDonald would be doled out by the team, rather than the NFL.Paul Gutierrez
- Report: At least 3 groups set to bid on Bills September 3, 2014At least three groups, including Buffalo Sabres owners Terry and Kim Pegula, have entered final negotiations to buy the Buffalo Bills.Associated Press
- NFL bans Irsay six games, fines him $500K September 3, 2014The NFL on Tuesday suspended Jim Irsay for six games and fined him $500,000 after the Indianapolis Colts owner pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.ESPN.com news services
- Davis: Several 49ers were at McDonald party September 3, 2014Tight end Vernon Davis said a larger number of 49ers players were at the party Saturday night in which the alleged incident between Ray McDonald and his girlfriend took place.Paul Gutierrez
- Lions' Johnson: His 'best chance' to win SB September 2, 2014Calvin Johnson has been part of a winless season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions. Now, he believes this year's team represents his best chance so far of winning a Super Bowl.Michael Rothstein
- Lawyer: Seau's family to reject settlement September 3, 2014