The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Giants' Wilson leaves practice with 'burner' July 30, 2014New York Giants running back David Wilson left Tuesday's practice with what coach Tom Coughlin called a "burner" -- an alarming diagnosis for a player who only last week was cleared to return to the field following neck surgery.Dan Graziano
- Cowboys' Lee plans return, hopes for health July 30, 2014Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee is in the early stages of his rehabilitation from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, but he is already thinking about his future.Todd Archer
- Police: Cards' Abraham passed out at wheel July 30, 2014An officer found John Abraham passed out behind the wheel of his black Dodge Challenger at around 4 p.m. ET June 29 at the intersection of an Atlanta suburb after he had left the Pink Pony strip club, according to a police report.Josh Weinfuss
- Vikings hire Wells, Kaplan for Kluwe battle July 29, 2014The Minnesota Vikings will retain Roberta Kaplan and Ted Wells in their battle with former punter Chris Kluwe.Ben Goessling
- GM admits RG III played too early in 2013 July 29, 2014Washington Redskins vice president and general manager Bruce Allen said quarterback Robert Griffin III should not have opened the season as the starter a year ago, not because his knee wasn't ready but rather because of his game.John Keim
- Man faces charges for Modell grave urination July 29, 2014Maryland authorities said Tuesday they will charge a man with disorderly conduct in a cemetery for allegedly urinating on the grave of former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.Associated Press
- Sources: Gordon faults secondhand smoke July 29, 2014The legal team for Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon will argue in a hearing Friday that its client has disputed test results that were caused from secondhand marijuana smoke, according to sources.Adam Schefter
- Panthers' Benjamin feels better, eyes return July 29, 2014The Carolina Panthers still don't have a timetable on the return of first-round draft pick Kelvin Benjamin from a bruised left knee, but it could be sooner rather than later.David Newton
- Ryan on Jets' big boasts: 'It's who we are' July 29, 2014There's a lot of bluster coming from the New York Jets, and Rex Ryan is cool with that.Rich Cimini
- Saints' Byrd (back) makes practice debut July 29, 2014Safety Jairus Byrd finally made his practice debut with the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday after his summer was wiped out by back surgery.Mike Triplett
- Giants' Wilson leaves practice with 'burner' July 30, 2014