The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer – just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- O'Connor: Beckham Jr.'s catch deserved more November 24, 2014Odell Beckham Jr. hauled in a heck of a TD, but Giants catch a loss vs. CowboysIan O'Connor
- Cowboys rally from 11 down to stop Giants November 24, 2014Tony Romo upstaged Odell Beckham Jr.'s jaw-dropping one-handed touchdown catch with two third quarter touchdown passes to give the Dallas Cowboys a 24-21 lead over the New York Giants heading into the fourth quarter Sunday night.Associated Press
- Saints' Benson pledges $11 million to HOF November 24, 2014New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson has pledged $11 million to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the largest contribution by any individual in the Hall's 51-year history,Mike Triplett
- Manning, Anderson lift Broncos over Dolphins November 24, 2014Peyton Manning threw three of his four TD passes to Demaryius Thomas, and C.J. Anderson ran for 167 yards and the go-ahead score in the Denver Broncos' 39-36 win over the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.Associated Press
- Chargers survive Rams' furious late rally November 24, 2014Marcus Gilchrist intercepted Shaun Hill at the goal line with 56 seconds left to preserve the San Diego Chargers' 27-24 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.Associated Press
- Seahawks stifle Cardinals, stay in West race November 24, 2014Russell Wilson found backup tight end Cooper Helfet for a 20-yard catch-and-run touchdown late in the third quarter, Steven Hauschka kicked four field goals and the Seahawks handed the Cardinals their second loss of the season, 19-3 on Sunday.Associated Press
- Niners squeak by Redskins on Hyde's late TD November 24, 2014Carlos Hyde ran for a go-ahead, 4-yard touchdown with 2:59 remaining, and the San Francisco 49ers squeaked by the lowly Washington Redskins with a 17-13 win Sunday that kept them in the thick of the playoff chase.Associated Press
- Source: Texans' Mallet played with pec injury November 24, 2014Texans quarterback Ryan Mallett played through a right pectoral injury Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, a source confirmed.Tania Ganguli
- Patriots RB Gray doesn't play after lateness November 24, 2014A week after rushing for 201 yards, New England Patriots running back Jonas Gray didn't play in Sunday's 34-9 victory against the Detroit Lions after he didn't report to the team's facility on time Friday.ESPN.com news services
- Hamilton to face Calgary in 102nd Grey Cup November 24, 2014The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are going to the Grey CupESPN.com news services
- O'Connor: Beckham Jr.'s catch deserved more November 24, 2014