The Pro Football Hall of Game game kicks off the pre-season in early August, and these exhibition games continue for five weekends. Batten down the hatches, ‘cuz your NFL man is gonna be almost as interested in these off the record games as the usual ones. He’s been jonesin’ for the season to begin all summer - just waiting to take up couch space with a cold beer and some salty-type snacks.
When ya hear him talking about training camp wrapping up, brace yourself. The games begin right after the last week of camp, and serve the purpose of getting the new guys (rookies) used to playing in front of those huge crowds, while coaches and owners use the games to evaluate newly signed players. The old (veterans) guys only get about a quarter of playing time- maybe even less. Can’t risk them getting injured before the regular season.
Are ya ready to rumble, because right after pre-season, we’ve got…… yep, you guessed it – regular season! The 2012 regular season season will begin on Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at the home of the defending Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants. The possible opponents include the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
Get some comfortable clothes on and get ready to hang with your man!
- Ravens' Pitta has season-ending hip surgery September 22, 2014Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta underwent season-ending hip surgery Monday afternoon, coach John Harbaugh said.Jamison Hensley
- QB Pryor works out for Bucs, source says September 22, 2014The Tampa Bay Buccaneers tried out former Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks quarterback Terrelle Pryor, a league source told ESPN's Field Yates.ESPN.com news services
- Woodhead has broken fibula, out for season September 22, 2014Chargers coach Mike McCoy says RB Danny Woodhead has a broken fibula and has been placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.Eric D. Williams
- Pettine: Gordon's late-season return a 'plus' September 22, 2014Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine called it "a big plus" to have wide receiver Josh Gordon back for the final six games of the team's season.Pat McManamon
- Bisciotti: Rice camp manufactured OTL story September 22, 2014Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti responded to an ESPN report into the team's handling of Ray Rice's domestic abuse case, saying that a significant amount of information in the story was "manufactured" from accounts provided by Rice's inner circle.ESPN.com news services
- How the Ray Rice scandal unfolded September 22, 2014Outside the Lines: A pattern of misinformation and misdirection was employed by the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL after Ray Rice hit his wife.Don Van Natta Jr. and Kevin Van Valkenburg
- Titans await word on Locker's injured wrist September 22, 2014The Titans are awaiting word on Jake Locker's injured right wrist, but coach Ken Whisenhunt said it was bad enough that the quarterback was unable to grip a football after Sunday's game.Paul Kuharsky
- Redskins' Hall upbeat after advice from Kobe September 22, 2014Washington Redskins corner DeAngelo Hall ruptured his left Achilles tendon and will miss the rest of the season -- but his optimism for the future increased after talking to Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant.John Keim
- CB Cromartie's injury not as bad as feared September 22, 2014The Arizona Cardinals received some good injury news Monday as cornerback Antonio Cromartie's left knee injury is less serious than expected.Josh Weinfuss
- Eagles' Kelly: 'No issues' with practice rant September 22, 2014Eagles coach Chip Kelly said he has "no issues" with cornerback Cary Williams, who said Sunday that the team's slow starts were related to Kelly's unorthodox practice methods.Phil Sheridan
- Ravens' Pitta has season-ending hip surgery September 22, 2014