Three of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s favorite receivers were recently interviewed on ESPN. The ball carriers, Deion Branch, Danny Woodhead and Wes Welker, came clean about their heights. Branch claims 5’ 9” ¾, Danny Woodhead 5’7” ¾, with Wes Welker sticking to a straight 5’9”, not bothering with tacking on additional fractions!
What the trio lack in size, they make up with heart and a strong work ethic. They all want to be role models to their fans, knowing that the average male height is right around 5’10”, claiming their motto is, “you can do what you love.”
Behind the line, Woodhead can get lost surrounded by the huge players. But he is extremely valuable, which was evident last week when the Patriots brought it on against the Indianapolis Colts. Woodhead had 60 rushing yards on five carries, which included a 36-yard touchdown rush, later tacking on four more receptions, for an additional 21 yards.
Welker had eight catches and a season-best of 89 yards, while Branch added seven catches for 71 yards. Brady insists that his small guys are great route runners and relies on them. When asked how Brady finds them, Branch quipped, “I think he misses us a lot of the time.”
Right now, the Patriots are standing tall with a 12-2 record for the season, tied with the Atlanta Falcons.
Article first published as Patriots Ball Carriers Not Short on Talent on Technorati.
- Bengals' Atkins ready for preseason debut August 20, 2014Geno Atkins will make his preseason debut Saturday night for the Cincinnati Bengals.Coley Harvey
- Titans take Ice Bucket Challenge for Shaw August 20, 2014Standing on twitching legs he pointed out, former Tennessee Titans linebacker Tim Shaw watched his former team take the Ice Bucket Challenge, shaking hands with or hugging many of them after the show of support.Paul Kuharsky
- PAT misses increased during NFL preseason August 20, 2014Eight extra point kicks from the longer distance -- usually 33 yards -- were missed during the NFL's experiment in the first two weeks of the preseason.Associated Press
- Eagles get K Parkey from Colts for RB Fluellen August 20, 2014The Philadelphia Eagles made their second trade in two days, acquiring rookie kicker Cody Parkey from the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for running back David Fluellen.Phil Sheridan
- RG III vows he'll improve sliding technique August 20, 2014Robert Griffin III understands the fear, owing to a fan base's desire to keep him healthy -- and a coaching staff that wants the same.John Keim
- Browns decide to start Hoyer over Manziel August 20, 2014The Cleveland Browns have committed to start Brian Hoyer over rookie Johnny Manziel at quarterback to begin the 2014 season, the team announced Wednesday morning.Pat McManamon
- Lions' Fairley admits weight led to demotion August 20, 2014Nick Fairley's weight is creeping up again for the Detroit Lions.Michael Rothstein
- Roger that: Megatron says no to dunks, fines August 20, 2014Calvin Johnson isn't interested in surrendering any of his salary to the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell, so he will forgo his plan to continue dunking over the goalpost after touchdowns.Michael Rothstein
- FXFL to prep players for midseason tryouts August 20, 2014Plans are set for the Fall Experimental Football League (FXFL) to begin play in October, commissioner Brian Woods said Wednesday.Kevin Seifert
- Ex-ref asked off Redskins games due to name August 20, 2014Former NFL referee Mike Carey told The Washington Post that he requested not to work home or away games for the Washington Redskins since 2006 due to the team's controversial nickname.ESPN.com news services
- Bengals' Atkins ready for preseason debut August 20, 2014