It all began when a group of women, from the Trenton Church of Christ in Michigan, went on a mission trip to Malawi, Africa. Upon seeing first hand, the devastation brought on by H.I.V. and A.I.D.S., one missionary, Rachel O’Neill, returned home inspired. As most young girls have but one dress, which they wear until it is literally in shreds, O’Neill’s idea was to provide simple frocks fashioned out of colorful pillowcases.
Little Dresses for Africa was born of this idea, “Simple dresses are made out of pillowcases and distributed through the orphanages, churches and schools in Africa to plant in the hearts of little girls that they are worthy.”
The mission soon caught on, and other churches, civic groups, schools, and just plain ‘ole everyday folk are getting involved with this creative, colorful enterprise.
These sweet and simple dresses bring hope to young girls who live in an otherwise bleak environment. The non-profit organizations provide mostly to the children in the Central African area, which is hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic, and has been joined by its companion mission, Britches for Boys.
Many of the children are orphans or are being raised by siblings, with all living in poverty. As such, clothing is a luxury. The distribution of the clothing is held in conjunction with various educational classes centered on nutrition and sanitation. To date the organization and its sister efforts have provided over 37,000 dresses.
1) Fold a freshly pressed pillowcase in half length-wise with the fold towards you. Cut off the top of the closed ends of the case, about 3/4 to 1 inch.
2) On the opposite side, you will cut out the armholes. Come down about 5 inches; start cutting in about 2 inches; start cutting upwards to the top; the cut out should resemble a letter J.
3) Open up the pillowcase. From the top, turn down about 1/2 inch and press. Turn down about 1 inch again and press.
4) Sew a straight line to create a casing for the elastic that forms the neckline – do this on both sides. The original hem on the pillowcase serves as the hem on the dress also. The elastic, 2x about 10 inches of 1/2-3/4 inch elastic, is then snaked through the casing on both sides.
5) Secure the elastic with stitching on each end. You are now ready to add bias tape to finish off the armholes. Make sure you allow enough to create ties – one yard per armhole works well.
Donations may be sent to:24614 Curtis Dr. Brownstown, MI 48134.
Little Dresses for Africa – Video
- Legwold: Top 5 Peyton Manning TD passes October 20, 2014QB won't single any out any of his record-setting throws, so we did it for himJeff Legwold
- Manning, Broncos roll past 49ers October 20, 2014Peyton Manning's receivers played keep-away with his milestone memento and the NFL's new leader in career touchdown passes toyed with the San Francisco 49ers in the Denver Broncos' emphatic 42-17 victory Sunday night.Associated Press
- Coaches: How Peyton is different October 20, 2014John Elway, past and present coaches share insight into TD pass king's greatnessESPN.com
- Manning breaks Favre's career TD pass mark October 20, 2014Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning threw his 509th career touchdown Sunday, breaking Brett Favre's league record.Jeff Legwold
- Peyton's No. 509 ball to go on display in Hall October 20, 2014The football Peyton Manning tossed Sunday night for an 8-yard touchdown pass that gave him a record 509th career scoring pass will be on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame by 4 p.m. ET, or so, on Monday.Jeff Legwold
- 49ers C Kilgore out with injury to leg, ankle October 20, 201449ers center Daniel Kilgore suffered a lower left leg and ankle injury in the third quarter of the team's 42-17 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday night, something coach Jim Harbaugh said "might be a break."Paul Gutierrez
- Cowboys' Murray again tops 100 to set mark October 20, 2014With a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter, DeMarco Murray became the first running back in NFL history to open a season with seven straight 100-yard games.Todd Archer
- Cowboys dump Giants to extend streak to 6 October 20, 2014Tony Romo threw three touchdown passes, DeMarco Murray broke Jim Brown's 56-year-old NFL record with his seventh straight 100-yard rushing game to start a season, and the Cowboys won their sixth straight by beating the Giants 31-21.Associated Press
- Chiefs snap Chargers' streak with late FG October 20, 2014Cairo Santos kicked a 48-yard field goal field goal with 21 seconds left and the Kansas City Chiefs beat San Diego 23-20 Sunday, snapping the Chargers' five-game winning streak.Associated Press
- Trick play, TD return help Rams stun Seattle October 20, 2014Punter Johnny Hekker's pass from the St. Louis 18 caught the Seattle Seahawks by surprise for the last of three big plays by Rams special teams in a 28-26 victory over the defending Super Bowl champions on Sunday.Associated Press
- Legwold: Top 5 Peyton Manning TD passes October 20, 2014