It all began when a group of women, from the Trenton Church of Christ in Michigan, went on a mission trip to Malawi, Africa. Upon seeing first hand, the devastation brought on by H.I.V. and A.I.D.S., one missionary, Rachel O’Neill, returned home inspired. As most young girls have but one dress, which they wear until it is literally in shreds, O’Neill’s idea was to provide simple frocks fashioned out of colorful pillowcases.
Little Dresses for Africa was born of this idea, “Simple dresses are made out of pillowcases and distributed through the orphanages, churches and schools in Africa to plant in the hearts of little girls that they are worthy.”
The mission soon caught on, and other churches, civic groups, schools, and just plain ‘ole everyday folk are getting involved with this creative, colorful enterprise.
These sweet and simple dresses bring hope to young girls who live in an otherwise bleak environment. The non-profit organizations provide mostly to the children in the Central African area, which is hardest hit by the AIDS epidemic, and has been joined by its companion mission, Britches for Boys.
Many of the children are orphans or are being raised by siblings, with all living in poverty. As such, clothing is a luxury. The distribution of the clothing is held in conjunction with various educational classes centered on nutrition and sanitation. To date the organization and its sister efforts have provided over 37,000 dresses.
1) Fold a freshly pressed pillowcase in half length-wise with the fold towards you. Cut off the top of the closed ends of the case, about 3/4 to 1 inch.
2) On the opposite side, you will cut out the armholes. Come down about 5 inches; start cutting in about 2 inches; start cutting upwards to the top; the cut out should resemble a letter J.
3) Open up the pillowcase. From the top, turn down about 1/2 inch and press. Turn down about 1 inch again and press.
4) Sew a straight line to create a casing for the elastic that forms the neckline – do this on both sides. The original hem on the pillowcase serves as the hem on the dress also. The elastic, 2x about 10 inches of 1/2-3/4 inch elastic, is then snaked through the casing on both sides.
5) Secure the elastic with stitching on each end. You are now ready to add bias tape to finish off the armholes. Make sure you allow enough to create ties – one yard per armhole works well.
Donations may be sent to:24614 Curtis Dr. Brownstown, MI 48134.
Little Dresses for Africa - Video
- Seahawks to host Packers in season opener April 24, 2014The Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks will open the 2014-15 NFL season against the Green Bay Packers on Thursday, Sept. 4.Associated Press
- Giants-Lions, Chargers-Cards to open MNF April 24, 2014ESPN's 2014 Monday Night Football slate will open in Detroit and Glendale, Ariz., for the season-opening Sept. 8 doubleheader as 26 of the league's 32 teams will make an appearance on MNF.Jeff Legwold
- Clayton: SB rematch among 2014's top games April 24, 2014Season highlights include Seahawks-Broncos, Seahawks-49ers, Broncos-PatsJohn Clayton
- Fox: Playoff teams earn spots on MNF April 24, 2014These three games highlight MNF schedule loaded with postseason performersAshley Fox
- Richardson sees himself as Colts' top pick April 24, 2014The Indianapolis Colts paid a hefty price for Trent Richardson, parting with their 2014 first-round draft pick to acquire the running back from the Cleveland Browns.ESPN.com news services
- Cards' Mathieu could start camp on PUP list April 23, 2014Almost five months into his rehabilitation from ACL and LCL surgery, Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu still may not be ready for the start of training camp.Josh Weinfuss
- Saints unsure about Ingram's 2015 option April 23, 2014The New Orleans Saints have not decided whether to exercise a 2015 team option on running back Mark Ingram's contract, coach Sean Payton said Wednesday.Associated Press
- NFL players talk race with Harvard students April 23, 2014Richard Sherman was called all kinds of names after his raging rant at the end of the NFC championship game. It was worth it, the Seattle cornerback said, because it gave him a chance to talk about the perception of black athletes to a wider audience.Associated Press
- Source: Veteran QB Hanie signs with Dallas April 23, 2014Veteran free-agent quarterback Caleb Hanie has signed a one-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys, according to a source familiar with the situation.Jeff Dickerson
- Seahawks' Wilson files for divorce from wife April 23, 2014Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson released a brief statement Wednesday saying he has filed for divorce from his wife, Ashton.Terry Blount
- Seahawks to host Packers in season opener April 24, 2014