Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Man wins $57K off of $5 bet, thanks to Bears September 24, 2014Two parlay wagers potentially worth $57,000 each were in play during the Monday Night game between the Chicago Bears and New York Jets.David Purdum
- Sources: Claiborne hears lineup news, bolts September 24, 2014Cornerback Morris Claiborne skipped the Cowboys' walk-through practice and angrily left the club's Valley Ranch training facility Tuesday after being informed that Orlando Scandrick was replacing him in the starting lineup, multiple sources said.Jean-Jacques Taylor
- Police: Dwyer's wife believed he was cheating September 24, 2014Police say Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer broke his wife's nose with a head-butt during an argument that began after she learned about his recent phone contact with another woman.Associated Press
- Goodell meets ex-players about NFL conduct September 23, 2014NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and chief assistant Troy Vincent were told by 11 former players Tuesday that the league must act immediately when someone is accused of domestic violence.Associated Press
- Peters expects fine; NFL says Baker hit legal September 23, 2014Eagles OL Jason Peters expects to be fined for his hit on Redskins DE Chris Baker but says he would "do the same thing" again.Phil Sheridan
- Ryan puts full support behind Jets QB Smith September 23, 2014Perhaps trying to squelch a potential quarterback controversy, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan threw his full support Tuesday to Geno Smith, whose poor performance Monday night has triggered the inevitable Michael Vick speculation.Rich Cimini
- Eli on Jeter: Been a great role model for me September 23, 2014When Eli Manning became the quarterback of the New York Giants back in 2004, one of the people to whom he looked for an example of how to carry himself was a baseball player -- New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter.Dan Graziano
- Rodgers to nervous Packers fans: Just relax September 23, 2014Aaron Rodgers had a simple, yet direct message for Green Bay Packers fans who are panicking over the team's 1-2 record and the quarterback's own slow start.Rob Demovsky
- Bucs OC Tedford to take indefinite leave September 23, 2014Buccaneers offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford will take an indefinite leave of absence from the team.Pat Yasinskas
- Tuley: Week 4 NFL Vegas Power Rankings September 23, 2014Updated ratings for all 32 teams, plus the best Week 4 value playsDave Tuley
- Man wins $57K off of $5 bet, thanks to Bears September 24, 2014