Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Saints re-sign Meachem to 1-year contract April 18, 2014The New Orleans Saints announced Friday that they have re-signed veteran receiver Robert Meachem to a one-year deal. Terms were not disclosed.Mike Triplett
- Broncos' visits to Bama catch NFL's attention April 18, 2014The NFL will ask some questions about why Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase and quarterback Peyton Manning crossed paths at the University of Alabama earlier this month.Jeff Legwold
- Source: 49ers likely to pass on Smith option April 18, 2014The San Francisco 49ers are not expected to pick up the 2015 fifth-year option on linebacker/defensive end Aldon Smith's contract, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- OTL: He may have shot Tillman April 18, 2014In his first public statements about the death of former NFL safety Pat Tillman, one of the Army Rangers involved in the 2004 friendly fire incident in Afghanistan says he has lived for 10 years with the thought that he may have fired the fatal shots.Mike Fish
- Source: Jags to meet with Bridgewater again April 18, 2014The Jacksonville Jaguars have scheduled a second meeting and workout with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, a source said.Tania Ganguli
- Source: Watt has 5th-year option exercised April 18, 2014The Houston Texans have officially exercised the fifth-year option on DE J.J. Watt's contract for the 2015 season, per a league source.Field Yates
- Starting LB Allen among 4 released by Jags April 18, 2014Starting outside linebacker Russell Allen was among four players the Jacksonville Jaguars released on Thursday afternoon.Michael DiRocco
- Ravens activate LB McClain from reserve list April 18, 2014The Baltimore Ravens activated Rolando McClain off the reserve-retired list Thursday, two days after his disastrous first workout with the team.Jamison Hensley
- Saban hosts Peyton in visit of 'mutual benefit' April 18, 2014Nick Saban hosted Peyton Manning and Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase last week for two days during a visit the Alabama Crimson Tide coach called "mutually beneficial."Alex Scarborough
- Former QB McNabb spends day in jail for DUI April 18, 2014Former NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb was released Thursday from an Arizona jail after serving a one-day sentence for a DUI arrest late last year.ESPN.com news services
- Saints re-sign Meachem to 1-year contract April 18, 2014