Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Carr's play has Raiders coach Allen hedging August 29, 2014The play of rookie Derek Carr might have changed Dennis Allen's mind on a starting quarterback.Bill Williamson
- Johnny JamBoogie: Manziel stars in TV ad August 29, 2014He has been called Johnny Football and Johnny Cleveland, but on Thursday, Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel will get a new nickname: Johnny JamBoogie.Darren Rovell
- Rams' Sam 'very confident' with cuts looming August 29, 2014No matter what happens in the next two days, defensive end Michael Sam is confident he offered a strong closing argument Thursday night to make the St. Louis Rams' 53-man roster.Nick Wagoner
- Cowboys secondary hit with 2nd suspension August 29, 2014Dallas Cowboys defensive back Jakar Hamilton is being suspended for the first four games of the regular season for a violation of the NFL's substance abuse program.Todd Archer
- Peterson to Jones: I'd play for Cowboys August 29, 2014Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson told Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in a June telephone call he would like to play for the Cowboys.Outside The Lines
- NFL: Lifetime ban possible for domestic abuse August 29, 2014The NFL is immediately implementing a sweeping domestic violence initiative that calls for a six-game suspension for a first offense and a lifetime ban from the league for a second offense.Jane McManus
- Bills lose rookie Watkins again to ribs injury August 29, 2014Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins left in the first quarter of Thursday's preseason finale against the Detroit Lions after apparently re-injuring his ribs.Mike Rodak
- Hoyer, Manziel get Browns offense on track August 29, 2014Hoyer, Manziel lead Browns over Bears 33-13Associated Press
- Jets' Patterson calls AWOL allegations 'false' August 29, 2014New York Jets cornerback Dimitri Patterson tells ESPN that the Jets' allegations that he went AWOL for 48 hours last week are "completely false."ESPN.com news services
- Lions' Van Noy undergoes abdominal surgery August 29, 2014Lions rookie linebacker Kyle Van Noy had surgery to repair his "core muscle" Thursday.Michael Rothstein
- Carr's play has Raiders coach Allen hedging August 29, 2014