Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- NFL bans Irsay six games, fines him $500K September 2, 2014The NFL on Tuesday suspended Jim Irsay for six games and fined him $500,000 after the Indianapolis Colts owner pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.ESPN.com news services
- Source: Cowboys to bring in Sam for physical September 2, 2014The Dallas Cowboys plan to bring Michael Sam to Dallas for a physical Wednesday and if all goes well they will add him to their practice squad, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Jets to start converted safety Allen at corner September 2, 2014Antonio Allen of New York Jets will start at cornerback against Oakland Raiders.Mike Mazzeo
- Fins' Pouncey 'very close,' but no timetable September 2, 2014Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey was optimistic Tuesday about his chances to return to the field soon from major hip surgery.James Walker
- Lions place rookie Van Noy on short-term IR September 2, 2014The Detroit Lions will be without their second round pick for at least half of his rookie seasonMichael Rothstein
- Six-time Pro Bowl lineman Waters is retiring September 2, 2014Guard Brian Waters, one of the best offensive linemen of his era, announced his retirement as a player.Adam Teicher
- Belichick on Gronk in Week 1: Not so fast September 2, 2014New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick says he's not ready to say whether tight end Rob Gronkowski will play Sunday.Lee Schechter
- Tomlin expects Manziel to play vs. Steelers September 2, 2014Mike Tomlin lavished praise on Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer.Scott Brown
- Saints' Benson: Statue 'unbelievable' honor September 2, 2014New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson is honored with a 10-foot-high bronze statue outside the Superdome.Mike Triplett
- Harbaugh: 'No tolerance' for domestic abuse September 2, 201449ers coach Jim Harbaugh addressed the Ray McDonald arrest Tuesday on his weekly radio appearance on KNBR, making it clear he won't tolerate domestic abuse but that he also believes in due process.Paul Gutierrez
- NFL bans Irsay six games, fines him $500K September 2, 2014