Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Cowboys cut Pro-Bowler Ware; Broncos next? March 12, 2014The Dallas Cowboys have released pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware.Todd Archer
- Sources: Talib gets $57M deal from Broncos March 12, 2014The Denver Broncos and cornerback Aqib Talib have reached agreement on a six-year, $57 million deal that includes $26 million guaranteed, according to sources.ESPN.com news services
- Source: Raiders give OT Howard $30M deal March 12, 2014The Oakland Raiders have reached agreement with former Jets offensive tackle Austin Howard on a five-year, $30 million deal, including $15 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Sources: Saints agree with S Byrd for $54M March 12, 2014The New Orleans Saints reached agreement with former Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd on a six-year, $54 million deal that includes $28 million guaranteed, sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Jags send former 1st-rounder Gabbert to SF March 12, 2014The Jacksonville Jaguars have traded quarterback Blaine Gabbert to the San Francisco 49ers.Michael DiRocco
- Source: Cowboys to cut veteran WR Austin March 12, 2014The Dallas Cowboys have opted to release eight-year veteran wide receiver Miles Austin, according to a source.Todd Archer
- Chargers add ex-Colts RB Brown to backfield March 12, 2014Looking for a running back to complement every-down back Ryan Mathews, the San Diego Chargers appear to have found their match in Indianapolis Colts free agent Donald Brown.Eric D. Williams
- Dolphins trade Martin to 49ers for draft pick March 12, 2014The Miami Dolphins traded offensive tackle Jonathan Martin to the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional draft pick on Tuesday.ESPN.com news services
- Bears part ways with veteran DE Peppers March 12, 2014The Chicago Bears released veteran defensive end Julius Peppers on Tuesday.Michael C. Wright
- Source: Verner agrees to terms with Bucs March 12, 2014The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and cornerback Alterraun Verner have agreed to a four-year, $26.5 million deal that includes $14 million guaranteed, according to a source.ESPN.com news services
- Cowboys cut Pro-Bowler Ware; Broncos next? March 12, 2014