Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Favre helps coach prep team to state title December 7, 2013Brett Favre is a three-time NFL Most Valuable Player and a Super Bowl champion.Associated Press
- Fox to coach from sideline against Titans December 7, 2013John Fox will coach from sideline against Tennessee Titans.Jeff Legwold
- Reports: Notre Dame DL Nix hires agents December 7, 2013The first tangible sign Louis Nix would not return to Notre Dame was when he posted a picture Thursday on Instagram of the Golden Dome in his rearview mirror.Matt Fortuna
- Giants' Pierre-Paul out for 2nd straight game December 7, 2013New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder) will miss his second straight game Sunday against San Diego. He did not practice all week.Matt Ehalt
- Romo: December or not, we need to win December 7, 2013Tony Romo's in December and January regular-season games hangs around his neck, but as the Dallas Cowboys prepare to play their first December game of this season on Monday night against the Chicago Bears the quarterback does not think much ofTodd Archer
- Surprise: 49ers' Staley ready for showdown December 7, 2013As the San Francisco 49ers concluded their practice preparation for Sunday's big home game against NFC West rival Seattle, it appears they will have one key member of the left side of their offensive line.Bill Williamson
- Arians expecting Palmer (elbow) to play December 6, 2013Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians expects quarterback Carson Palmer, who has been slowed by an injury to his throwing elbow, to play Sunday against the St. Louis Rams.Josh Weinfuss
- Seahawks' Harvin out vs. 49ers due to hip December 6, 2013Wide receiver Percy Harvin will not play Sunday at San Francisco, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Friday.Terry Blount
- 'Riverboat Ron' moniker may help charities December 6, 2013The "Riverboat Ron" nickname has become so popular that Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera and his wife are looking for ways to use it to raise money for local charities.David Newton
- Disappointing Texans fire coach Kubiak December 6, 2013The disappointing Houston Texans, who own the league's worst record at 2-11, fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday.Tania Ganguli
- Favre helps coach prep team to state title December 7, 2013