Every year, I get caught up in the those singing competition shows! I’m one of the first texting 800 numbers with my fav’s number, as he or she frantically gives us the finger, letting us know to dial 1! I wait with baited breath as they announce the winners! I remember being in such a turmoil about whether David Archuelta would win or not! Not to mention that other cute little guy from “American Idol” – I don’t even remember his name – but I desperately wanted to hear it called out each week. Recently I tried to remember who actually HAD won each year, and found it easier to name the losers… Are YOU a victim of winner amnesia as well? I mean aside from Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, who else do we remember from AI?
A few seasons back I moved from an American Idol devotee to a “The Voice” convert; coincidentally after I had spied a naked pic of Adam Levine. :/ I became acquainted with Blake Shelton, a seemingly country bumpkin… with enormous sex appeal. Lord that man is tall and handsome- and has big bones! Aye ay I! … Anyway, I’ve gotten a little off track, but I wanted to set the stage. I got to thinking about the… talent. Did I even remember who won the last two ‘The Voice’ competitions? About the same time, I’m buzzing around in my car listening to Taylor Swift chortling about another guy who did her wrong, when… again…I got to thinking… how far would Taylor go on those shows?
I suddenly realized that Swift. the queen of teen anguish pop, with a gillion awards, would probably not even make it into the top 20. Christina or Britney would surely be bashing her awkward moves, and her lack of range, while Simon would just be brutal about her pitchy-ness. Never mind if Justin Bieber threw his weight (125 lbs) around on stage, he would be out of the top 30 toot suite! How can this be?? But it is.
So who wins these talent shows and why doesn’t their extraordinary popularity carry through into the real world? It boils down to this – Those contestants who have extreme range, hitting notes from low to amazing heights creating a dramatic, theatrical performance, while igniting that emotional spot in the audience’s hearts, WIN. You remember where you were and who you liked when that song was popular 10-20 years ago …It just makes you feel good. They take those old songs and they do them some justice. It’s not about originality or current pop appeal, it’s about the type of performance that is best suited for Broadway, or someone who can become an understudy of Celine Dion in Vegas. Dramatic emotion-evoking performances = winners.
Now, if originality produced the winner, that little girl with the Minnie Mouse bows would be a the winner. Right?
- Manuel: Bills system easier to learn than FSU's May 19, 2013Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel said Sunday in a radio interview from the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles that he is quickly picking up the team's offense, which he said is less complex than the system he used at Florida State. […]ESPN.com news services
- Moore, Broncos put big blunder behind them May 19, 2013The Denver Broncos have moved on, even if their fans haven't. […]Associated Press
- Source: Gronkowski may need back surgery May 19, 2013In addition to a fourth surgery on his broken forearm, New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski might need back surgery, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. […]ESPNBoston.com
- DE Freeney, Chargers agree to contract May 18, 2013The San Diego Chargers made a move to bolster their pass rush Saturday, agreeing on a two-year deal with defensive end Dwight Freeney, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder. […]ESPN.com news services
- Mario Williams' ex alleges suicide-talk texts May 18, 2013An initial attempt to settle a lawsuit between Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams and his former fiancee over the possession of a $785,000 diamond engagement ring has failed. […]Associated Press
- Seahawks DE Irvin suspended four games May 18, 2013Seattle Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin was suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season on Friday after the league announced he violated the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances. […]Associated Press
- Bears, first-round pick G Long agree to deal May 18, 2013The Bears agreed to terms on a four-year deal, plus an option, with 2013 first round draft choice Kyle Long on Friday, the team announced. […]Jeff Dickerson
- Jets' Goodson arrested for drugs, weapons May 18, 2013New York Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested Friday morning on drug possession and weapon charges, New Jersey state police spokesperson Stephen Jones told ESPN's Adam Schefter. […]Matt Ehalt
- Ex-O.J. lawyer says Simpson knew about guns May 17, 2013The lawyer who unsuccessfully defended O.J. Simpson against armed robbery charges testified Friday his client knew two companions had guns in a 2007 confrontation with memorabilia dealers. […]Associated Press
- Report: P. Manning's money same in new deal May 17, 2013Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has signed a new contract, although the deal doesn't alter his compensation, Pro Football Talk reported Friday. […]ESPN.com news services
- Manuel: Bills system easier to learn than FSU's May 19, 2013