Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Eagles coordinator Reich says QB order not set May 25, 2016Eagles coordinator Reich says QB order not set
- Trainer didn't weigh Lacy, worked on lifestyle May 25, 2016Trainer didn't weigh Lacy, worked on lifestyle
- Where the next five Super Bowls will be played May 25, 2016Where the next five Super Bowls will be played
- Keyshawn Johnson: Nephew Michael Thomas is 'bigger, faster' Marques Colston May 25, 2016Keyshawn Johnson: Nephew Michael Thomas is 'bigger, faster' Marques Colston
- Tyler Eifert's absence means a Bengals introduction to Tyler Kroft May 25, 2016Tyler Eifert's absence means a Bengals introduction to Tyler Kroft
- Cowboys' OTAs aren't 'real football' but things come 'alive' May 25, 2016Cowboys' OTAs aren't 'real football' but things come 'alive'
- Larry Fitzgerald has 'no idea' if 2016 will be his last season May 25, 2016Larry Fitzgerald has 'no idea' if 2016 will be his last season
- Union prez slams NFL over congressional report May 25, 2016Union prez slams NFL over congressional report
- Tyler Bray opens offseason practice as the Chiefs' No. 2 quarterback May 25, 2016Tyler Bray opens offseason practice as the Chiefs' No. 2 quarterback
- Lack of early-season success has weighed on a now lighter C.J. Anderson May 25, 2016Lack of early-season success has weighed on a now lighter C.J. Anderson
- Eagles coordinator Reich says QB order not set May 25, 2016