Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Nate Robinson continues to train for possible return to football June 26, 2016Nate Robinson continues to train for possible return to football
- Colts owner Irsay pays $137K for Prince guitar June 26, 2016Colts owner Irsay pays $137K for Prince guitar
- J.J. Watt smashes eggs with Jimmy Fallon June 25, 2016J.J. Watt smashes eggs with Jimmy Fallon
- Former Lions WR Johnson happy in retirement June 25, 2016Former Lions WR Johnson happy in retirement
- QB Jackson charged with aggravated assault June 25, 2016QB Jackson charged with aggravated assault
- Packers prez criticizes quality, length of preseason June 24, 2016Packers prez criticizes quality, length of preseason
- Manziel lawyer, dad worried about QB's drug use June 24, 2016Manziel lawyer, dad worried about QB's drug use
- Packers report record profit of $48.9 million June 24, 2016Packers report record profit of $48.9 million
- Ex-Lions CB Wilson shot during alleged break-in June 24, 2016Ex-Lions CB Wilson shot during alleged break-in
- NFL to interview players named in PED film June 24, 2016NFL to interview players named in PED film
- Nate Robinson continues to train for possible return to football June 26, 2016