Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Cowboys' quarterback search is back on with Tony Romo injury August 27, 2016Cowboys' quarterback search is back on with Tony Romo injury
- Hall defends hit on Bills' Gragg: NFL says go low August 27, 2016Hall defends hit on Bills' Gragg: NFL says go low
- Bears QB Shaw suffers 'very serious' leg injury August 27, 2016Bears QB Shaw suffers 'very serious' leg injury
- Garrett: Poor decision by Elliott on pot store August 27, 2016Garrett: Poor decision by Elliott on pot store
- Bears CB Porter exits game with head injury August 27, 2016Bears CB Porter exits game with head injury
- Source: Romo has fracture, may sit 6-10 weeks August 27, 2016Source: Romo has fracture, may sit 6-10 weeks
- RB Eddie Lacy 'debating' haircut after getting tackled by dreadlocks August 27, 2016RB Eddie Lacy 'debating' haircut after getting tackled by dreadlocks
- Steel resolve: DE Heyward (ankle) says he's OK August 27, 2016Steel resolve: DE Heyward (ankle) says he's OK
- Victor Cruz, Eli Apple in spotlight when Giants play the Jets August 27, 2016Victor Cruz, Eli Apple in spotlight when Giants play the Jets
- New Packers TE Jared Cook connects quickly with Aaron Rodgers August 27, 2016New Packers TE Jared Cook connects quickly with Aaron Rodgers
- Cowboys' quarterback search is back on with Tony Romo injury August 27, 2016