Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Sources: Rams won't be punished for concussion November 29, 2015Sources: Rams won't be punished for concussion
- Sources: RB West out for Chiefs; Kelce to play November 29, 2015Sources: RB West out for Chiefs; Kelce to play
- John Harbaugh jokingly says struggling Ravens aren't checking Snapchat November 28, 2015John Harbaugh jokingly says struggling Ravens aren't checking Snapchat
- What's trending in the NFL: Patriots WR Amendola out; more injury updates November 28, 2015What's trending in the NFL: Patriots WR Amendola out; more injury updates
- Vikes safety Smith (knee) won't play vs. Falcons November 28, 2015Vikes safety Smith (knee) won't play vs. Falcons
- Pats' Amendola, Collins won't play vs. Broncos November 28, 2015Pats' Amendola, Collins won't play vs. Broncos
- Ten things to know about Patriots' game vs. Broncos November 28, 2015Ten things to know about Patriots' game vs. Broncos
- Stedman Bailey still in stable condition as Austin, Britt don his jersey in tribute November 27, 2015Stedman Bailey still in stable condition as Austin, Britt don his jersey in tribute
- Tony Romo's season goes from dream to nightmare November 27, 2015Tony Romo's season goes from dream to nightmare
- Concussion to sideline Revis against Dolphins November 27, 2015Concussion to sideline Revis against Dolphins
- Sources: Rams won't be punished for concussion November 29, 2015