Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- OTL: Tunsil camp investigates ex-adviser in hack May 4, 2016OTL: Tunsil camp investigates ex-adviser in hack
- Source: Glenn, Bills reach 5-year, $65M extension May 3, 2016Source: Glenn, Bills reach 5-year, $65M extension
- NFLPA gets 14-day extension to file Brady appeal May 3, 2016NFLPA gets 14-day extension to file Brady appeal
- HOF coach Shula hospitalized, expected to be OK May 3, 2016HOF coach Shula hospitalized, expected to be OK
- Von Miller says he was 'blessed' to appear on DWTS May 3, 2016Von Miller says he was 'blessed' to appear on DWTS
- NFL's beef beef: Foreign meat may flunk tests May 3, 2016NFL's beef beef: Foreign meat may flunk tests
- Antonio Brown pivots from 'Dancing with the Stars' to Steelers in 24 hours May 3, 2016Antonio Brown pivots from 'Dancing with the Stars' to Steelers in 24 hours
- Ex-49er Stubblefield denies sexual assault charge May 3, 2016Ex-49er Stubblefield denies sexual assault charge
- Saints, LT Armstead agree to 5-year extension May 3, 2016Saints, LT Armstead agree to 5-year extension
- Pats exit draft as favorites to win Super Bowl LI May 3, 2016Pats exit draft as favorites to win Super Bowl LI
- OTL: Tunsil camp investigates ex-adviser in hack May 4, 2016