Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Passing it on: Watt, Mutombo talk finger wag December 21, 2014Before the Texans faced the Baltimore Ravens at NRG Stadium on Sunday, former NBA star Dikembe Mutombo was caught in what looked like a finger-wag lesson with Texans defensive end J.J. Watt.Tania Ganguli
- Falcons WR Jones plays against Saints December 21, 2014Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones, who missed last week's game due to injury, is active for Sunday's crucial game against the rival Saints.Vaughn McClure
- Source: Murray tells friends he'll play vs. Colts December 21, 2014Cowboys star running back DeMarco Murray has told his friends and family that he will play Sunday against the Colts, a source told ESPN.Ed Werder
- Sources: Stanford's Shaw plans to shun NFL December 21, 2014Any NFL team hoping to make a major run at Stanford head coach David Shaw will, in all probability, come away disappointed, sources tell ESPN.Adam Schefter
- Shanahan: RG III, Cutler can be franchise QBs December 21, 2014Former Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said he still believes two of his former players, Robert Griffin III and Jay Cutler, can be franchise quarterbacks. Both, however, need to make some changes.John Keim
- Sources: WR Beckham gets advice from MJ December 21, 2014New York Giants rookie sensation Odell Beckham Jr. has gone from having dinner with LeBron James this month to communicating with Michael Jordan.Adam Schefter
- Sources: QB Rivers playing with bulging disk December 21, 2014San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' comeback performance Saturday night in the overtime victory at San Francisco against the 49ers was even grittier than it looked.Chris Mortensen
- Chargers FG caps 2nd-half rally over 49ers December 21, 2014Nick Novak kicked a 40-yard field goal nearly 5 minutes into overtime after Philip Rivers rallied San Diego back from a 21-point deficit in the second half, keeping the Chargers' slim playoff hopes alive with a 38-35 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.Associated Press
- Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D December 21, 2014The satisfaction leapt from his comments, the once-spurned receiver burning his former team -- first on the field, then with his words. The Redskins' DeSean Jackson finished with four catches for 126 yards against his former team, the Eagles.John Keim
- Eagles' playoff chances hurt as Redskins win December 21, 2014The Philadelphia Eagles are on the brink of elimination from the playoff race after a 27-24 loss to the Washington Redskins on Saturday.Associated Press
- Passing it on: Watt, Mutombo talk finger wag December 21, 2014