Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Titans cut ties with 2-time Pro Bowl safety Griffin February 9, 2016Titans cut ties with 2-time Pro Bowl safety Griffin
- Stacking the NFL's offseason agenda February 9, 2016Stacking the NFL's offseason agenda
- Vikings villains? Green Bay film looking for 'bad guys' in purple February 9, 2016Vikings villains? Green Bay film looking for 'bad guys' in purple
- Von Miller completes comeback from 'my rough period' with Super Bowl MVP trophy February 9, 2016Von Miller completes comeback from 'my rough period' with Super Bowl MVP trophy
- Five reasons the Panthers have a chance to return to the Super Bowl February 9, 2016Five reasons the Panthers have a chance to return to the Super Bowl
- Convictions can cost players draft, combine trips February 9, 2016Convictions can cost players draft, combine trips
- O'Connor: NFL should come with warning label February 9, 2016O'Connor: NFL should come with warning label
- Record $132 million wagered on Super Bowl 50 February 8, 2016Record $132 million wagered on Super Bowl 50
- Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware key to Broncos' Super Bowl-readiness February 8, 2016Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware key to Broncos' Super Bowl-readiness
- Saints release 6-time Pro Bowl guard Evans February 8, 2016Saints release 6-time Pro Bowl guard Evans
- Titans cut ties with 2-time Pro Bowl safety Griffin February 9, 2016