Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Hip replacement won't slow Dallas owner Jones July 28, 2015Hip replacement won't slow Dallas owner Jones
- Seau family at odds with Hall of Fame over rules July 28, 2015Seau family at odds with Hall of Fame over rules
- Vikings using virtual-reality cameras in practice July 28, 2015Vikings using virtual-reality cameras in practice
- Roethlisberger: Steelers' goal 30 points per game July 28, 2015Roethlisberger: Steelers' goal 30 points per game
- Patriots place DL Easley (knees) on PUP list July 27, 2015Patriots place DL Easley (knees) on PUP list
- Texans' Clowney put on PUP list amid recovery July 27, 2015Texans' Clowney put on PUP list amid recovery
- Todd Bowles gets a honeymoon, but it'll be shorter than most July 27, 2015Todd Bowles gets a honeymoon, but it'll be shorter than most
- Cardinals rookie stable after being shot twice July 27, 2015Cardinals rookie stable after being shot twice
- Source: Wilson to table talks if no deal by Friday July 27, 2015Source: Wilson to table talks if no deal by Friday
- Ex-Colts QB Trudeau had .31 BAC at traffic stop July 27, 2015Ex-Colts QB Trudeau had .31 BAC at traffic stop
- Hip replacement won't slow Dallas owner Jones July 28, 2015