Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Goodell 'a big fan' of Browns owner Haslam February 26, 2015NFL commissioner Roger Goodell stood solidly in Browns owner Jimmy Haslam's corner Wednesday night at a 35-minute question-and-answer session at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.Pat McManamon
- Rams cut DT Langford in cost-cutting move February 26, 2015In search of some much-needed salary cap space heading toward free agency, the St. Louis Rams released defensive tackle Kendall Langford on Thursday afternoon.Nick Wagoner
- Eagles release veteran O-lineman Herremans February 26, 2015The Philadelphia Eagles released veteran offensive lineman Todd Herremans on Thursday.Phil Sheridan
- Chiefs release veteran tight end Fasano February 26, 2015Tight end Anthony Fasano was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, saving the club about $2 million against their salary cap.Adam Teicher
- Titans veteran Roos retires after 10 seasons February 26, 2015Longtime Tennessee Titans left tackle Michael Roos is retiring after 10 seasons, the team announced Thursday.Paul Kuharsky
- Former Packer got death threats after fumble February 26, 2015Former Green Bay Packers tight end Brandon Bostick said he received death threats after he botched the onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game and that a former NFL player who went through something similar has helped him deal with it.Rob Demovsky
- Source: Hardy eyes immediate reinstatement February 26, 2015Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy will seek immediate reinstatement into the NFL, a league source told ESPN.com.David Newton
- Hernandez hit bar, smoked pot night of killing February 26, 2015Ex-New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez ran up a $243 bar tab and smoked marijuana in the hours before the boyfriend of his fiancee's sister was shot to death, according to testimony Thursday at his murder trial.Associated Press
- Jaguars release veteran corner Blackmon February 26, 2015The Jacksonville Jaguars released nickelback Will Blackmon on Thursday.Michael DiRocco
- Report: Bills in talks with veteran QB McCown February 26, 2015The Buffalo Bills are negotiating to sign veteran free agent Josh McCown to address their long-standing needs at quarterback.Associated Press
- Goodell 'a big fan' of Browns owner Haslam February 26, 2015