Cocoa, the main ingredient in dark chocolate, not only lowers blood pressure, insulin levels, inflammation, while decreasing arterial spasms, it serves up potent antioxidants! Raising good HDL cholesterol, while leaving LDL levels alone, it has been named one of the heart healthy group – along with fish, fruits veggies, almonds, garlic…and happily wine. Including this group in our diet apparently will tack on over five more wonderful years to our lives, according to the British Medical Journal!
Cocoa contains flavanol, a nitric oxide stimulate, while acting as a vasodilator, lowers blood pressure. Research studies conducted with two groups of individuals with mild hypertension show that the group eating dark chocolate lowered their systolic reading by an average of five points. The other group ate white chocolate which does not contain cocoa, and had unchanged readings.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower insulin levels, both fasting insulin and glucose levels, while improving insulin sensitivity overall. It looks like the dark yummy stuff actually regulates blood sugar.
It’s clear that inflammation is the culprit in a vast array of condition, including autoimmune disease, heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Cocoa flavanols were shown to lower inflammation by reducing 5-lipoxygenase, an enzyme, which in turn stops excess production of leukotrienes, the culprit causing inflammation throughout the body.
In addition to it being healthy for our bod, there are also studies to suggest that cocoa’s compounds make us feel great, stimulating the same receptors that POW when we fall in love! No wonder we’re indulging!
Keep it healthy by looking for bars that have at least 70 percent cocoa, and eating no more than a quarter bar a day. Indulge in a glass of nice red wine and some grapes while you’re at it!
- Lawyers endorse Goodell hearing Brady appeal May 22, 2015Lawyers endorse Goodell hearing Brady appeal
- Hernandez running out of money, lawyer says May 22, 2015Hernandez running out of money, lawyer says
- Report: Browns won't be on Hard Knocks; team concerned about Johnny Manziel May 22, 2015Report: Browns won't be on Hard Knocks; team concerned about Johnny Manziel
- Source: Scandrick, Cowboys agree to $20M deal May 22, 2015Source: Scandrick, Cowboys agree to $20M deal
- Bills DT Dareus suspended 1 game by league May 21, 2015Bills DT Dareus suspended 1 game by league
- Broncos DE Antonio Smith being investigated May 21, 2015Broncos DE Antonio Smith being investigated
- Ray Rice has domestic violence case dismissed May 21, 2015Ray Rice has domestic violence case dismissed
- Inside Slant: Journey from spread to the NFL, one step at a time May 21, 2015Inside Slant: Journey from spread to the NFL, one step at a time
- Carr's agent says QB won't need finger surgery May 21, 2015Carr's agent says QB won't need finger surgery
- Munson: NFL, NFLPA guilty of detrimental conduct May 20, 2015Munson: NFL, NFLPA guilty of detrimental conduct
- Lawyers endorse Goodell hearing Brady appeal May 22, 2015