As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Johnny Manziel's statement reminds this will be a process April 17, 2015Johnny Manziel's statement reminds this will be a process
- 49ers' Miller to skip team workouts after arrest April 17, 201549ers' Miller to skip team workouts after arrest
- Woman files civil lawsuit against QB Winston April 17, 2015Woman files civil lawsuit against QB Winston
- Artists makes awesome helmets from NFL teams, 'Star Wars' April 17, 2015Artists makes awesome helmets from NFL teams, 'Star Wars'
- Footing the bill: Nike signs Winston, Mariota April 17, 2015Footing the bill: Nike signs Winston, Mariota
- Police suspend investigation into Broncos' Talib April 17, 2015Police suspend investigation into Broncos' Talib
- Manziel apologizes, vows to regain Browns' trust April 17, 2015Manziel apologizes, vows to regain Browns' trust
- Vikings' Peterson reinstated without restrictions April 17, 2015Vikings' Peterson reinstated without restrictions
- Kenny Easley ran the Seahawks' defense -- and his own newspaper April 17, 2015Kenny Easley ran the Seahawks' defense -- and his own newspaper
- Source: Revis to join Pats for White House trip April 16, 2015Source: Revis to join Pats for White House trip
- Johnny Manziel's statement reminds this will be a process April 17, 2015