As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Jets sign QB Johnson after Thursday workout August 28, 2015Jets sign QB Johnson after Thursday workout
- Cousin of ex-Pats TE Hernandez has case dropped August 28, 2015Cousin of ex-Pats TE Hernandez has case dropped
- Giants lose safety Berhe to blood clot in calf August 28, 2015Giants lose safety Berhe to blood clot in calf
- Previous violations by company in stadium death August 27, 2015Previous violations by company in stadium death
- Wilson says water comments 'perceived wrong' August 27, 2015Wilson says water comments 'perceived wrong'
- RG III defers concussion questions to Redskins August 27, 2015RG III defers concussion questions to Redskins
- Sean Payton on taking daughter to college: Lump-in-your-throat type day August 27, 2015Sean Payton on taking daughter to college: Lump-in-your-throat type day
- Packers DT Guion's 3-game suspension upheld August 27, 2015Packers DT Guion's 3-game suspension upheld
- Ahmad Brooks episode just latest in series of missteps for 49ers August 27, 2015Ahmad Brooks episode just latest in series of missteps for 49ers
- Browns coach: Manziel out rest of preseason August 27, 2015Browns coach: Manziel out rest of preseason
- Jets sign QB Johnson after Thursday workout August 28, 2015