As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Broncos hire Phillips as defensive coordinator January 29, 2015The Denver Broncos have hired Wade Phillips to be their defensive coordinator league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday.Jeff Legwold
- Report: 49ers expected to tab Chryst as OC January 29, 2015Geep Chryst is expected to be named the San Francisco Niners' offensive coordinator, according to the NFL Network.Paul Gutierrez
- Brees nails PSIs on show: Couldn't do it in game January 29, 2015Drew Brees and Conan O'Brien had some fun with "Deflategate" during the New Orleans Saints quarterback's appearance Wednesday on O'Brien's talk show.Mike Triplett
- Vinovich To Referee Super Bowl XLIX January 29, 2015Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.Media
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders January 29, 2015Louisville defensive coordinator Todd Grantham will remain with the Cardinals.Brett McMurphy
- Study: Youth football may add to cognition loss January 29, 2015Researchers tested 42 retired players between the ages of 40 and 69 and found that those who started playing football prior to age 12 performed "significantly worse" on three cognitive measures.Tom Farrey
- Brady has cold, says 'not worried about it' January 29, 2015Tom Brady sniffled through his 45-minute Super Bowl XLIX media availability Wednesday morning, at times wiping his nose with his sleeve of his shirt, as he confirmed he's battling a cold.Mike Reiss
- Ex-QB Blake: Deflating footballs common January 28, 2015Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common.Paul Kuharsky
- Super week: Sherman awaiting son's birth January 28, 2015Richard Sherman isn't just preparing for the New England Patriots this week. He's getting ready for the birth of his son.Josh Weinfuss
- NFL mulls fine for Lynch's hat, sources say January 28, 2015Marshawn Lynch might get fined after all. Sources tell ESPN that, after the Super Bowl, the league will review whether the hat Lynch wore during media day was permissible.Adam Schefter and Darren Rovell
- Broncos hire Phillips as defensive coordinator January 29, 2015