As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Browns, vet McCown agree to 3-year deal February 28, 2015Josh McCown will be joining the Cleveland Browns.Pat McManamon
- NFL to reconsider decades-old combine drills February 27, 2015The NFL will reconsider tweaking its long-standing timing and testing drills at the scouting combine this offseason.Mike Rodak
- Former Packer got death threats after fumble February 27, 2015Former Green Bay Packers tight end Brandon Bostick said he received death threats after he botched the onside kick recovery in the NFC Championship Game and that a former NFL player who went through something similar has helped him deal with it.Rob Demovsky
- Dolphins release Hartline after 2014 drop-off February 27, 2015The Miami Dolphins released wide receivers Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson on Friday, the team announced.Mike Rodak
- Instead of payday, Dockett cut by Cardinals February 27, 2015Defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, who was entering the final year of his contract with the Arizona Cardinals, was released by the team Friday.Josh Weinfuss
- Several Hernandez texts are missing from phone February 27, 2015Texts and phone records shown to jurors in the Aaron Hernandez trial showed that several messages he exchanged with a co-defendant before the killing were deleted from his phone.Associated Press
- Redskins begin purge, release Cofield, Bowen February 27, 2015The Redskins' offseason purge began with their defensive line as they released veterans Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen on Friday.John Keim
- NFL hires Gustafson as D.C.-based lobbyist February 27, 2015The NFL has hired Nicole Gustafson as a lobbyist.Associated Press
- Ravens release DE Canty, create cap space February 27, 2015The Baltimore Ravens cut starting defensive end Chris Canty on Friday to create $2.66 million in salary-cap space.Jamison Hensley
- Colts' Luck, Pagano to participate in USO trip February 27, 2015Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck will join his coach, two other football players and a small group of celebrities on a future overseas USO trip.Associated Press
- Browns, vet McCown agree to 3-year deal February 28, 2015