As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Source: Cowboys to cut veteran WR Austin March 12, 2014The Dallas Cowboys have opted to release eight-year veteran wide receiver Miles Austin, according to a source.Todd Archer
- Source: Saints intending to swap RB Sproles March 11, 2014The New Orleans Saints have not released running back Darren Sproles and now plan to trade him due to interest in him, according to a source.Mike Triplett
- Sources: Bears, Houston agree on $35M deal March 11, 2014The Chicago Bears secured one of the top pass rushers on the open market, reaching agreement on a five-year, $35 million contract with former Oakland Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Steelers sign S Mitchell away from Panthers March 11, 2014Free safety Mike Mitchell agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday, the first day of free agency.David Newton
- Bears part ways with veteran DE Peppers March 11, 2014The Chicago Bears released veteran defensive end Julius Peppers on Tuesday.ESPN.com news services
- Jags send former 1st-rounder Gabbert to SF March 11, 2014The Jacksonville Jaguars have traded quarterback Blaine Gabbert to the San Francisco 49ers.Michael DiRocco
- Sources: Browns add LB Dansby, S Whitner March 11, 2014The Cleveland Browns reached agreements with former Arizona Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby and former San Francisco 49ers safety Donte Whitner, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Ravens agree with LT Monroe, sources say March 11, 2014The Baltimore Ravens and left tackle Eugene Monroe have agreed to terms on a five-year deal worth $37.5 million, sources confirmed to ESPN.Adam Schefter and Jamison Hensley
- Cowboys cut ties with top pass-rusher Ware March 11, 2014The Dallas Cowboys have released pass rusher DeMarcus Ware.Todd Archer
- Sources: Dolphins add LT Albert, DT Mitchell March 11, 2014The Miami Dolphins added a pair of big-name free agents Tuesday, agreeing to deals with offensive tackle Branden Albert and defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.James Walker
- Source: Cowboys to cut veteran WR Austin March 12, 2014