As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Titans RB Greene arrested on multiple charges October 25, 2014Tennessee Titans running back Shonn Greene was arrested Friday night on multiple charges after attempting to avoid a ticket for parking in a handicapped space.ESPN.com news services
- Saints to be without RBs Thomas, Robinson October 25, 2014New Orleans Saints running backs Pierre Thomas and Khiry Robinson have both been ruled out for Sunday night's game against the Green Bay Packers with injuries.Mike Triplett
- Raiders' Hayden activated, available Sunday October 25, 2014The Oakland Raiders have activated cornerback DJ Hayden from the physically unable to perform list and promoted defensive end Denico Autry from the practice squad.Associated Press
- Dolphins activate Jordan as suspension ends October 25, 2014The Miami Dolphins activated defensive end and former first-round pick Dion Jordan to the active roster, the team announced Saturday.James Walker
- Lions' Mosley suspended, sent back to U.S. October 25, 2014On the eve of their game against the Atlanta Falcons in Wembley Stadium, the Detroit Lions have suspended defensive tackle C.J. Mosley and sent him home from England.Michael Rothstein
- Bucs sign DT McCoy to $98 million extension October 25, 2014Gerald McCoy has signed a seven-year extension with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that could be worth as much as $98 million, making him the highest-paid defensive tackle in the NFL.ESPN.com news services
- Manning: 'Not scoreboard op's best night' October 25, 2014Peyton Manning will "have a little talk" with the scoreboard operator in the wake of what the Broncos QB says were distractions during Denver's win against the Chargers.Jeff Legwold
- Billionaire Allen donates $100M to fight Ebola October 25, 2014Billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers, has pledged to contribute at least $100 million to the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.ESPN.com news services
- Ravens TE Daniels out after knee procedure October 25, 2014Ravens tight end Owen Daniels will miss at least one game after undergoing a clean-up procedure on his left knee, coach John Harbaugh said Friday.Jamison Hensley
- Union: NFL, Ravens not helping in Rice probe October 25, 2014The attorney leading the NFL players' union investigation into the Ray Rice domestic violence case tells The Associated Press the league and the Baltimore Ravens have not been cooperating.Associated Press
- Titans RB Greene arrested on multiple charges October 25, 2014