As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Brees, Saints bounce back, pound Panthers December 9, 2013Drew Brees passed for 313 yards and four touchdowns and the New Orleans Saints beat Carolina 31-13 on Sunday night to regain sole possession of first place in the NFC South and snap the Panthers' winning streak at eight games.ESPN.com news services
- Source: Pats fear Gronkowski has torn ACL December 9, 2013The New England Patriots fear that star tight end Rob Gronkowski has a torn ACL in his right knee, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Broncos' Prater sets record with 64-yard FG December 9, 2013Denver Broncos kicker Matt Prater set a new NFL record Sunday when he hit a 64-yard field goal to close out the first half. Prater's kick broke the NFL record of 63 yards, held by Tom Dempsey (1970), former Broncos kicker Jason Elam (1998), Sebastian JaniJeff Legwold
- Pats beat Browns with TD after onside kick December 9, 2013Pats beat Browns 27-26 with TD after onside kickAssociated Press
- Flacco, Ravens stun Vikings with wild finish December 9, 2013Joe Flacco threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to rookie Marlon Brown with 4 seconds left, capping a flurry of scores on an icy field and giving the Baltimore Ravens a 29-26 victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.Associated Press
- Dawson, 49ers deny Seahawks division title December 9, 2013Phil Dawson kicked a 22-yard field goal with 26 seconds remaining and the San Francisco 49ers held off the Seattle Seahawks 19-17 on Sunday.Associated Press
- Chiefs thump Redskins to break 3-game skid December 9, 2013Chiefs thump Redskins 45-10 to break 3-game skidAssociated Press
- Peterson rips Ravens fans, refs following loss December 9, 2013Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was carted to the locker room after suffering an ankle injury early in the second quarter of Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens.ESPN.com news services
- Let it snow! Winter weather impacts NFL games December 9, 2013Heavy snow fell until early in the fourth quarter of Sunday's Philadelphia-Detroit game, covering the playing surface at Lincoln Financial Field and greatly affecting the strategy in a game won by the Philadelphia Eagles, 34-20.Ashley Fox
- Cards' Mathieu 'appears' to have ACL injury December 9, 2013Arizona Cardinals rookie free safety Tyrann Mathieu "appears" to have an ACL injury according to coach Bruce Arians and will have an MRI on his left knee Monday morning, according to NFL sources.Josh Weinfuss
- Brees, Saints bounce back, pound Panthers December 9, 2013