As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Source: Redskins to start McCoy over RG III November 26, 2014The Washington Redskins are planning to start Colt McCoy over Robert Griffin III this Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, according to a team source.Adam Schefter
- Hernandez's trial in double slaying delayed November 26, 2014A judge on Tuesday agreed to delay the trial of former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez in the 2012 slaying of two Boston men after his lawyer said Hernandez's defense team is busy trying to prepare for his trial in a 2013 killing.Associated Press
- Caldwell: Lions 'have no comfort zone' on O November 26, 2014The Lions are 7-4, but coach Jim Caldwell says the team has no comfort zone on offense whatsoever.Michael Rothstein
- Sherman, Baldwin rip Lynch fine with parody November 26, 2014Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and receiver Doug Baldwin did a parody in front of reporters Tuesday, making a point of criticizing the NFL over fining teammate Marshawn Lynch $100,000 for not talking to the media.Terry Blount
- Rodgers: Packers-Patriots not me vs. Brady November 26, 2014Aaron Rodgers doesn't view Sunday's game between the Packers and Patriots as him against Tom Brady but unless they meet in the Super Bowl, which is possible the way they are playing, it could be the one and only meeting between two of the NFL's best QBs.Rob Demovsky
- Judge: Redskins can proceed with name case November 25, 2014A judge is allowing the Washington Redskins to move ahead with a lawsuit seeking to overturn a cancellation of the team's trademark.Associated Press
- Titans waive LB Phillips, eye getting younger November 25, 2014The Titans have released veteran outside linebacker Shaun Phillips and will turn to younger options for the rest of the season, a source confirmed.Paul Kuharsky
- Bengals' Smith (torn triceps) goes on IR November 25, 2014Andre Smith's left triceps injury was far worse than the Cincinnati Bengals had originally hoped, forcing him to be placed on season-ending injured reserve Tuesday.Coley Harvey
- Broncos release kicker McManus, sign Barth November 25, 2014The Denver Broncos have waived placekicker Brandon McManus and signed Connor Barth, according to sources.Jeff Legwold
- Raiola: Not fined for late cut block vs. Pats November 25, 2014Detroit Lions center Dominic Raiola said he was not fined by the NFL for his play at the end of Sunday's 34-9 loss to New England where he dove at the knees of New England Patriots defensive lineman Zach Moore.Michael Rothstein
- Source: Redskins to start McCoy over RG III November 26, 2014