As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- NFL RB over 50? Herschel says he can do it April 24, 2014An NFL running back at 52 years old? Herschel Walker says it wouldn't be a problem for him.ESPN.com news services
- Kosar says he's off TV due to slurred speech April 24, 2014Former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar believes he has been removed as a TV commentator for Cleveland's preseason games because of slurred speech he attributes to concussions sustained in the NFL.Associated Press
- Hot ticket: Pack-Seahawks most expensive April 24, 2014As NFL schedules were announced on Wednesday night, many season ticket holders scrambled to the secondary market to list their game tickets.Darren Rovell
- Sherman: 'Dollars' best way to show respect April 24, 2014Richard Sherman feels the best way the Seattle Seahawks could show him their appreciation is by showing him the money.ESPN.com news services
- NFL players talk race with Harvard students April 24, 2014Richard Sherman was called all kinds of names after his raging rant at the end of the NFC championship game. It was worth it, the Seattle cornerback said, because it gave him a chance to talk about the perception of black athletes to a wider audience.Associated Press
- Source: Manziel on Bucs' short list at No. 7 April 24, 2014Johnny Manziel is on the short list of players that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are heavily considering with their first-round pick in the NFL draft, a league source told ESPN.com's Vaughn McClure.ESPN.com news services
- Source: Pats pick up Solder's 2015 option April 24, 2014The New England Patriots have exercised the fifth-year option on left tackle Nate Solder's contract, a league source confirmed.Field Yates
- Seahawks to host Packers in season opener April 24, 2014The Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks will open the 2014-15 NFL season against the Green Bay Packers on Thursday, Sept. 4.Associated Press
- Giants-Lions, Chargers-Cards to open MNF April 24, 2014ESPN's 2014 Monday Night Football slate will open in Detroit and Glendale, Ariz., for the season-opening Sept. 8 doubleheader as 26 of the league's 32 teams will make an appearance on MNF.Jeff Legwold
- No winner in Rams' schedule-guessing game April 24, 2014The St. Louis Rams said Wednesday night that no fan had won the $100,000 prize for correctly predicting the team's exact schedule.Darren Rovell
- NFL RB over 50? Herschel says he can do it April 24, 2014