As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- 49ers LB Bowman (knee) to see Dr. Andrews November 22, 2014NaVorro Bowman, who tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee in the NFC championship game on Jan. 19, is set to see Dr. James Andrews to determine his progress.Paul Gutierrez
- Snow business: Bills make trip to Detroit November 22, 2014After enduring three days of epic snowfall, the Bills made their way from Buffalo to Detroit for Monday's rescheduled game against the Jets.ESPN.com news services
- Veteran WR Avant reunites with Reid in K.C. November 22, 2014The Chiefs have signed veteran wide receiver Jason Avant to a one-year deal Friday, the team announced Friday.Adam Teicher
- Freebie? Jets-Bills tickets in Detroit are free November 21, 2014The NFL is giving something away for free.Michael Rothstein
- Sources: Pats' Gray late, doesn't practice November 21, 2014Patriots running back Jonas Gray didn't practice Friday because he didn't report to the team's facility on time, according to two sources.Mike Reiss
- Fitzgerald game-time decision for Cardinals November 21, 2014Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, who didn't practice for the third straight day, will be a game-time decision Sunday in Seattle.Josh Weinfuss
- Carroll: 'No hesitation' in having Lynch back November 21, 2014Pete Carroll says the Seahawks will "do everything we can" to bring back Marshawn Lynch next season.Terry Blount
- Regretful Peterson: I won't use switch again November 21, 2014Adrian Peterson expressed regret for injuring his 4-year-old son in an exclusive interview with USA Today published Thursday night, vowing never to use a switch as discipline on any of his children again.ESPN.com news services
- Peterson's appeal hearing to occur Dec. 2 November 21, 2014The hearing on Adrian Peterson's appeal of his suspension is scheduled for Dec. 2, according to ESPN and media reports.ESPN.com news services
- Broncos' Sanders: Hit was legal; ready to go November 21, 2014Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders said he's ready to play Sunday against the Dolphins and that Rams safety Rodney McLeod made "a legal hit" on the tackle that resulted in Sanders' concussion.Jeff Legwold
- 49ers LB Bowman (knee) to see Dr. Andrews November 22, 2014