As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Cutler strikes early vs. Jets; Bears hold on September 23, 2014Jay Cutler threw two touchdown passes to Martellus Bennett, and the Bears took advantage of some early mistakes by the Jets before holding on for a 27-19 victory Monday night.Associated Press
- Bisciotti: Rice camp manufactured OTL story September 23, 2014Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti responded to an ESPN report into the team's handling of Ray Rice's domestic abuse case, saying that a significant amount of information in the story was "manufactured" from accounts provided by Rice's inner circle.ESPN.com news services
- Texans RB Foster (hamstring) still day to day September 23, 2014Houston Texans star running back Arian Foster said he is day to day with the hamstring injury that prevented him from playing in this past Sunday's loss to the New York Giants.ESPN.com news services
- Bears TE Bennett: Rex's quip lit fire in me September 23, 2014Bears tight end Martellus Bennett said he felt disrespected by New York Jets coach Rex Ryan leading up to Chicago's 27-19 Monday night victory at MetLife Stadium.Jeff Dickerson
- Caller to 911: Bironas was driving erratically September 23, 2014A woman told a 911 dispatcher that former Titans kicker Rob Bironas was driving erratically just before his SUV crashed.Associated Press
- Bears lose safety Conte to injured shoulder September 23, 2014The Chicago Bears' secondary took another hit Monday night when safety Chris Conte left the game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury.Michael C. Wright
- Sources: NFLPA to review Rice investigation September 23, 2014Independent of its appeal of Ray Rice's indefinite suspension, the NFL Players Association is planning to conduct its own fact-finding review of the incident and investigation, sources say.Chris Mortensen
- Pettine: Thought Manziel trick play was legal September 23, 2014One more quirk to the Johnny Manziel-as-a-receiver play the Cleveland Browns tried on Sunday? "It was called 'Dawg Pound Special,'" coach Mike Pettine said.Pat McManamon
- Source: Harrison expected back for Steelers September 23, 2014James Harrison, less than three weeks after returning to the Steelers to officially retire, is now expected to be back with them in a playing capacity, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.ESPN.com news services
- Celebration over: Tulloch done for season September 23, 2014Lions middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch's season is over because of a celebration gone wrong.Michael Rothstein
- Cutler strikes early vs. Jets; Bears hold on September 23, 2014