As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Setback-free Newton to start against Browns December 20, 2014Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suffered no setbacks on Saturday and is set to start against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, twelve days after suffering two small fractures in his lower back during an automobile accident.David Newton
- Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015 December 20, 2014NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams that there will not be a team that moves to Los Angeles for next season, according to league sources.Adam Schefter
- Source: Pats' Edelman out with a concussion December 20, 2014The New England Patriots will be without leading receiver Julian Edelman for Sunday's road game against the New York Jets, as Edelman did not make the trip with the team, a source confirms.Mike Reiss
- Vick: Florida St.'s Winston 'future of the NFL' December 20, 2014Once considered one of the NFL's biggest stars, New York Jets quarterback Michael Vick says he thinks Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston could be the league's next big star.ESPN.com news services
- Browns' Gipson, tied for INT lead, lands on IR December 20, 2014The Cleveland Browns placed safety Tashaun Gipson on injured reserve Saturday, ending the season of the league's interception leader for much of the year.Jeremy Fowler
- Cowboys RB Murray still undecided on status December 20, 2014Cowboys star running back DeMarco Murray will probably wait until Sunday morning to make a final decision on his playing status for Dallas' home game against the Colts.Ed Werder
- Additional footage of Rice incident released December 20, 2014ABC News has obtained additional video of Ray Rice from the February incident that led to the running back's suspension from the NFL.ESPN.com news services
- Ex-Bucs OC, Cal coach Tedford back to CFL December 20, 2014Jeff Tedford has returned to the CFL.Associated Press
- Rams players donate $10K at Ferguson event December 20, 2014The St. Louis Rams players who did the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" gesture treated residents of nearby Ferguson to some holiday cheer on Friday.Associated Press
- Source: Texans expect to start QB Keenum December 19, 2014Recently signed quarterback Case Keenum is expected to start for the Houston Texans against the visiting Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, according to a league source.Adam Caplan
- Setback-free Newton to start against Browns December 20, 2014