As you come up and around the bend on Interstate 5, just south of Mt. Shasta, the breathtaking sight of Castle Crags comes into view. Jutting out from the side of the hillside, the craggy land formation rising 2,200 feet, was formed by volcanic activity over 200 million years ago. It sticks out from the rest of the mountainous hilly terrain offering an incredible display. This beautiful land mass has been subjected to the forces of natures including wind, rain and ice for over a million years, which has given rise to the distinctive formation of the Crags.
Take the Castella Exit and follow the signs to Castle Crags State Park and Vista Point, where the signed trails begin just down the road. It’s a beautiful walk through the forest of fresh smelling cedar, fir and pine trees. Head on up the famous Pacific Crest Trail, which is about seven miles long, leading you through the State Park. Stop at Indian Springs, where icy water bubbles up offering pure refreshment.
Beautiful Castle Lake lies within the State Park, and offers not only the amazing scenery, but also fishing and picnicking. The lake is very cold, so best reserve that activity for summer only! Rafting, row boating and kayaking are available and enjoyable activities.
- Manziel admits to offseason 'rookie mistakes' July 26, 2014Johnny Manziel admitted he made "rookie mistakes" this offseason and said he needs to do better when it comes to acting like a professional.Pat McManamon
- Source: Colts RB Ballard suffers torn Achilles July 26, 2014Indianapolis Colts running back Vick Ballard has suffered a torn left Achilles tendon, a source told ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen.ESPN.com news services
- Veteran Nicks, Bucs 'mutually agree' to part July 26, 2014The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announce Friday that the team and veteran guard Carl Nicks have "mutually agreed" to part ways.Pat Yasinskas
- Brees thinks he could play another 10 years July 26, 2014New Orleans Saints quarterback says he thinks he can continue to play at a high level for another 10 years.Mike Triplett
- Pats' Gronkowski not 100 percent -- but close July 26, 2014New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has been cleared by doctors to play, but he's not quite ready to let it rip.Lee Schechter
- Saints' Graham glad contract 'mess' over July 26, 2014New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham admitted this offseason was tough on him but is "happy that all that mess is over."Mike Triplett
- Cards' Mathieu predicts return in 6-8 weeks July 26, 2014If it was up to Tyrann Mathieu, he'd be out there again tomorrow. Realistically, he believes he can be back on the field within six to eight weeks.Josh Weinfuss
- Cowboys' McClain convicted, already appeals July 25, 2014Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain has been convicted of resisting arrest and disorderly conduct in his hometown in Alabama.ESPN.com news services
- 49ers' Smith: I've stayed sober since Sept. July 25, 2014Aldon Smith said hours before the San Francisco 49ers started training camp Thursday that he has stayed sober since last September, when he was arrested for drunk driving for the second time since Jan. 2012.Bill Williamson
- Seahawks' Carroll: Wish Lynch was with us July 25, 2014As expected, Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch did not attend the first day of training camp Friday, officially starting his holdout over changes he wants to his contract.ESPN.com news services
- Manziel admits to offseason 'rookie mistakes' July 26, 2014